Ding Ding Ding

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
How do you stop it ! ? ! ?
I assume the sound comes from the same source. Seat belt, key in the ignition, door open, lights on... Did I miss anything?
Where exactly is it? And how do you disable it?

Thanks, Blue

NFLTDI

TDI
02 Jetta 00 Jetta
They come from the instrument cluster. I think they can be disabled in VCDS, if not, I’m sure they could be removed physically

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
are there any warning lights on in the dash once the car is running? are you saying it dings to no end while just driving down the road with the belt on and ebrake off? is there a pattern to the dings? like ding ding ding ding ding... pause, repeat

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you had to listen to the loud and incessant chime in a BMW you'd appreciate the ding.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Oddly enough mine doesn’t ding for anything. Leaving lights on, key out, nothin.
James

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I think it's in the Coding section of Module 17 - Instruments (cluster); the first two digits of the coding set what you'll get ding-ding-dinged about.

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
are there any warning lights on in the dash once the car is running? are you saying it dings to no end while just driving down the road with the belt on and ebrake off? is there a pattern to the dings? like ding ding ding ding ding... pause, repeat
The lights and dings work like they’re supposed to. The seatbelt dinging will stop after a while. I do wear it but I don’t necessarily put it on right away.

I guess the most annoying thing is when I get out of the car to get the mail (before I back into the garage) or if I’m working on some thing and have the door open.

NFLTDI

TDI
02 Jetta 00 Jetta
Ya, like stabbing a big screw driver through it until it stops.:LOL:
That would do it! I’ve never taken apart an instrument cluster before but it looks like a pain. While searching for why mine wasn’t working, I ran across a few posts of people disabling theirs. Try a search.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
or if I’m working on some thing and have the door open.
This was how I found out it DOES actually shut off on it’s own, eventually... 😂

Also, don’t bother with the forum search bar, it’s mostly useless. Just do a google search and throw site:forums.tdiclub.com in with your search terms.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I liked how on the MkIIIs you could just pull the “la cucaracha” relay to shut it up.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
so here's what I did to my 2004 to solve this problem: one time when I was at the yard I cut the 'tongue' off a seat belt and painted the plastic part bright pink. then whenever I need to have the door open or the car on and I'm not in the car and it's dinging like mad, just reach into the console, grab this thing and pop it in as if a seatbelt is on. stops the dinging.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, are you saying these can be disabled with a VCDS?
Yes.

IIRC, my cars are typically coded 04332 (get rid of the brakes and seatbelt warnings); in Canada.
Or 04132 (for the 24hr clock).

How to in this video:

Last edited:

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Didn't work:(
My numbers are different. 15232. I changed the 5 (his was 7) to 1 like he did but no change.
I would like to know how to do this it's driving me nuts!

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
My numbers are different. 15232. I changed the 5 (his was 7) to 1 like he did but no change.
When I changed it on my car it showed how to code it when i was in there changing it (as to what numbers did what)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Brake pad warning is near-useless, so I'd try 04232 in your case; 05232 if you want to keep the brakepad warning.
(You're adding up numbers, not replacing digits.)

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
OK, think I got it.
Actually I found a page on Ross-Tech and they explain what the first second third fourth and fifth digit do which I didn’t know.
So apparently if you have the first two digits 00 that turns everything off.
But it didn’t. The door alarm still went off which was 50% of my problem.
I left it the way Nuje said and kept the low wiper fluid on, 04.

I don’t know why the door didn’t turn off.
So that left me with no choice but to do this mechanically and cut some wires.
I took the door panel off and found the wires going to the lock module and with help from a guy on YouTube figured out which wire needed cut. It’s the brown with white stripe. It’s in normally closed position, which makes the computer think the door is open. So a normally open contact or a cut wire will make the computer think the door is closed.
Problem solved! The only thing that doesn’t work is the red light on the inside corner of the door.

The only thing I don’t understand is why it took me so long to do this. Finally, silence!

Thanks guys for your help!
God bless!!
Blue

PS. I’ll try to post a YouTube link and some pics.