Dieselgeek bypass oil filter kits available again!

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
For anyone that has ever wanted a bypass oil filter kit for their TDI, now is the time to call and talk to Jim at Dieselgeek. The're not listed on the website but he personally told me that he's making one more run and then pulling the plug for good on this product.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
....just ordered mine :)

Dieselgeek will no longer offer these after this batch is done

Get them while you still can!

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
sorry for being the nooblett but why would someone want to do this
Oil contamination and heat are the enemy of engines and machinery in general; this filter dds ~1L to the volume of your engine oil circuit and also filters out particulate as small as 2 microns. This is especially good news for engines of the PD design where oiling in the cam/lifter area is so critical compared to "regular" engines.

Cooler and cleaner oil means a longer lasting engine!

The filter that fits this kit can be found here: http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=673

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
I change mine every at every other full-flow filter change (10,000 X 2) miles but up to 60,000 miles/filter according to Amsoil documentation.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I've still on my original bypass filter element which I installed back in 2010. Since then I've put at least 60k km on it. It will get renewed at the next oil change, as I'm out of Schaeffer 9000 and will switch over to my stash of Mobil 1 TDT. While not strictly on-topic, that changeover will be monitored via UOA to see how well it compares... S9000 works very nicely in my Golf, it's just a PITA to buy.

I see no reason to change the bypass filter at every other filter change and certainly not after only 20k miles. Changing filters is fun, but IMO a waste of money to change this one with so few kilometers on it. After 60k+ km, mine still gets hot and still flows oil.

Now the cabin filter, that one absolutely should get changed once a year, if not more often! Change that one and your HVAC filter in the house if you feel like changing filters.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
I've still on my original bypass filter element which I installed back in 2010. Since then I've put at least 60k km on it. It will get renewed at the next oil change, as I'm out of Schaeffer 9000 and will switch over to my stash of Mobil 1 TDT. While not strictly on-topic, that changeover will be monitored via UOA to see how well it compares... S9000 works very nicely in my Golf, it's just a PITA to buy.

I see no reason to change the bypass filter at every other filter change and certainly not after only 20k miles. Changing filters is fun, but IMO a waste of money to change this one with so few kilometers on it. After 60k+ km, mine still gets hot and still flows oil.

Now the cabin filter, that one absolutely should get changed once a year, if not more often! Change that one and your HVAC filter in the house if you feel like changing filters.
I agree. I haven't changed the bypass for at least 3 oil changes and don't plan to until it needs to be changed.
I also agree on the cabin filters.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I can't really get my head around the concept of a "bypass filter".

Lets see, take an engine that is probably good for 400K miles with the stock filtration system and reduce the volume of oil that is sent to critical components by sending some of the oil volume through a bypass filter?

It seems to me that the only thing a bypass filter might accomplish is to cause oil starvation to critical components by reducing oil volume.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
What you say is true, if your oil pump provides only barely enough oil.
It is definitely a valid concern.
You prevent that by using tiny oil flows through the bypass filter.
Also most engines run with oil pressure control valves constantly bleeding off excess oil, to keep pressures from being too high, except at idle when hot.

The removal of soot and other abrasives is worth it to me.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The removal of soot and other abrasives is worth it to me.
I could not agree more, with this bit and the entirety of the remainder of your post, Dan. Also for anyone who has ever seen the DG bypass filter, the metering orifice is TINY - IIRC about 1mm diameter.

The addition of an extra liter of oil capacity is also a nice side benefit.

2004Nick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Dieselgeek Bypass Oil Filter

sorry for being the nooblett but why would someone want to do this
Just to make their expensive high-tech engines LAST LONGER is the only
reason I can think of. My oil analysis reports improved markedly starting
from the dat i installed one of Jim's setups. Sorry to hear that they are
going out of production. Just glad that i got mine on in time to prevent
major wear and reap the benefits of clean oil? thanks Jim!

2004Nick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bypass oil "Starvation"?

Lets see, take an engine that is probably good for 400K miles with the stock filtration system and reduce the volume of oil that is sent to critical components by sending some of the oil volume through a bypass filter?
It seems to me that the only thing a bypass filter might accomplish is to cause oil starvation to critical components by reducing oil volume.
Sorry Rattler i can't agree with you on this one. I can't see how the bypass
system REDUCES the amount of oil available so long as the oil level is CORRECT ON THE STICK! More oil is needed in total, that's just a benefit. Only downside of these systems to me is expensive Amsoil cans and slightly longer
warmup time, more than offset by more and CLEANER OIL! Am i wring on this one--I DON'T THINK SO!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

Yes, it seems counterintuitive until you realize that only 1% or so of oil flow is sent through the bypass filter at any given time. This is done with a simple fixed orifice. The rest of the oil goes through a full flow (fully filtered) system.

Many oil systems from the 40s and 50s were ONLY bypass filtered, the FULL flow system just wasn't in use yet so the bulk of the oil pumped through an engine back then was not filtered at all. (I am recalling an 8n Ford tractor)

Bill

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
what about other bypass options?

I would have installed the Dieselcraft oc-25 centrifuge in My B4 Passat TDI had I known about it while I owned that car, They released the air assisted draining design after I retired the car. http://www.dieselcraft.com/engine-oil-cleaning.php

Prior to it's release I had considered the lower cost imported centrifuges from companies like this one local to me here in Pennsylvania. http://pabiodieselsupply.com/shop/wvo-centrifuge-55gph/

On that same note the oil drain port on the side of the 1Z TDI looked like an ideal location to return the oil, as under normal conditions these devices need an unrestricted gravity return much like a turbo charger. (If I had the hood clearance I would have mounted it to my valve cover! LOL)

In closing these commodity items seem like a good alternative to disposable spin on filters.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Since diesel rated oil (that we use) has an additive package to keep soot particles from conglomerating and getting large enough to become a contributor to engine wear, why is their a perceived need for a bypass filter in this engine?

I believe that if oil is changed in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations (10K miles in this case) and that UOA's show soot levels and TBN in good shape, then what is the benefit of this bypass setup?:confused:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Even smaller particles are captured by the by-pass system than the OEM filter can catch. Basic physics would be the reason!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Even smaller particles are captured by the by-pass system than the OEM filter can catch. Basic physics would be the reason!
Basic physics? That's not clear to me.

Just because it (the bypass filter) can capture smaller particles is not telling me that is a case for less engine wear. As an example, engine connecting rod and main bearing clearances are far larger than the size of a particulate that even the normal filter can capture. If that's the case, and oil is doing it's job of not allowing conglomeration of particles, then why is capturing smaller particles important?

Now maybe if one plans on extended OCI intervals and TBN would be exhausted, then relying on a bypass system may be OK. Correct?

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
ding! You win! It is just an additional layer of insurance!
For me; It' more than insurance. The bypass filter system adds ~1L of oil volume which aids in heat dissipation and removal of particulate (no matter the size) that would otherwise remain in circulation. At the end of the day I want the engine to last as long as possible. These engines are great, I agree. But I want every advantage available when it comes to longevity. Operating the engine with less heat and less particulate will make it last longer until a rebuild would otherwise be required and this kit offers that for a very agreeable cost as far as I'm concerned.

For that matter I also run a magnetic drain plug for the same reason, just in case it might work in ANY way. Some will argue that if I have particulate that could be picked up by this part I've got bigger problem which may be true but it's s cheap and so effective that it's not even worth arguing over if it helps even 1 iota.

Last edited: