Diesel stations in Portland, OR area

johnand

I am getting a TDI in the next month or 2 and was curious where you guys were purchasing your fuel?

I live in Camas, WA and commute to Wilsonville, OR everyday and was looking for some good stations in between those 2. I assume truck stops are the best place to purchase diesel, but I can't remember seeing any around my commute. Also, how much are you paying? Thanks,

John

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Just filled for 1.059 at Flying J in Troutdale. Probably the best fuel available in pdx short of Biodiesel from PNWBio in Hillsboro.

Man, that's got to be a sh*tty commute.

There's also a truck stop (Leathers?) 1 exit south of Wilsonville that I've used a couple times.. no complaints. I filled at Jubitz(near the Interstate bridge) once and was not impressed.

Flying J also sells Powerservice Diesel Suppliment, which I recommend you pick up.

johnand

Thanks a lot! Yes that commute is s***ty! But, will be more bearable in a TDI
I am driving a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 5.2L V8 right now, and all I can say is, thank god gas is really cheap right now ($0.95/gallon).

I say your post about the Flying J, in Troutdale, definitely might be worth the drive to fuel up there.

I was curious about the Truck Stop just south of Wilsonville, since it would be convenient.

I also have a Texaco a few blocks from my house that says "Premium Diesel" at the pump. Have you ever tried this? I wonder how premium (cetane index) this fuel really is. The good thing about this station, is there diesel pumps always have lines, so the turnover is pretty high.

Do you have any more info on the PNWBiodiesel in Hillsboro (price, % bio, contact info, location, experience with the fuel)?

I plan on using AMSOIL Cetane Boost and AMSOIL Diesel Fuel Modifier and/or Powerservice Diesel Supplement every tank from the get go.

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: johnand ]</p>

Kyanoti

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf GL, silver
Leathers is a good station. Its the Texaco at the Aurora exit (exit.. 278?), if I recall correctly. A friend I trust used to patronize their station, got to know the owners, and say that they're the good kind of folk. The diesel I haven't had any problems with, but then I'm rarely low of fuel when I drive past.

I've tried to get some of the PNWBiodiesel, but had a good bit of difficulty arranging times to meet the owner so I could fill up. Haven't had any, but have heard good things about it.

Personally, I drive out to the Flying J in Troutdale. They go through more fuel than any other station I know of in the area, and, heck, I met a guy with a Passat wagon TDI the other night there. (Maybe he'll sign up soon!) It is good if only to drive by all the cars waiting to fill up on the right side of the islands..

But if you're driving on I-5, and you're not seeing any truck stops, you shouldn't be driving. Watch for PUC diesel prices; that's a truck stop.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by johnand:
I also have a Texaco a few blocks from my house that says "Premium Diesel" at the pump. Have you ever tried this? I wonder how premium (cetane index) this fuel really is. The good thing about this station, is there diesel pumps always have lines, so the turnover is pretty high.

Do you have any more info on the PNWBiodiesel in Hillsboro (price, % bio, contact info, location, experience with the fuel)?
<hr></blockquote>

Texaco "premium"- I don't know this firsthand but others around the forum have stated that Texaco's premium fuel is premium in it's lubricating qualities and cold weather performance (i.e. no improvment in cetane rating).

PNWBD is located in Hillsboro near TV hwy and Witch Hazel Rd. It's 100% BD, made from WVO (waste veg oil, aka used fryer oil). http://www.pacificnwbiodiesel.com/ is the web site and 503 844 0290 is the #.

Experience with the fuel... I have run several tanks of their fuel. It runs fine, quiet, no smoke, very slightly less power.

On the negative side, this is a low budget operation and they work out of a big garage-type business park unit. The last tank of BD I got from them plugged my fuel filter with what I think was glycerine (leftover from the conversion process) after about 40 miles. While I was getting that tank filled, their in-line filter clogged and was cleaned. I assume that's how I got the glycerine in my tank.

That being said, I'd still recommend their fuel. Just be sure to carry a spare fuel filter with you.