Diesel Motorcycle

NETHED

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI (Gone...but not forgotten)
Those crazy Dutch are at it again. Now they built a common rail diesel motorcycle based on the DiamlerChrysler 800cc engine. No, this isn't the first diesel motorcycle, but it is the first to be offered to the public for sale.

They say that all the Euro ones have been pre-ordered, but do mention a US Distributor on the horizon.

Anyway, very interesting read:

(Edited to put the picture back, apparently gizmag doesn't like when you link to thier pictures)

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Interesting - that's the little Smart's engine. Way better choice (i.e. smaller and lighter) than the Lupo mechanicals of the previous attempt. Stock those engines are a rather dismal 42 horsepower, but they can be chipped to 56 hp, and no doubt it's possible to get more. That's decent.

Not much in there on specifications, but it looks not too different from the larger KTM trailies.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
110 foot pounds of torque? Yes please! Diesel bikes would eat up the streets. I hope they continue to make these bikes...And keep the rugged 'thrown together in a garage' look.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I wonder how much it weigh?

The only drawback I see to a diesel motorcycle is the weight of the engine, but it looks like that may have been solved?

blacka5

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5M
Hmm, is that a shaft I see? I also wonder how much the thing weighs. Interesting that they are claiming it will run SVO -- in a common rail! I hope it's a success -- and will be available here.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yes, that's a lengthwise engine and shaft drive, and without using a linkage and second U-joint (like BMW recent models) to correct the shaft-drive torque reaction. Not my first choice, but it will do. Handling could be a bit interesting with that shaft-drive torque reaction jacking the rear end up every time you crack the twistgrip ...

I wonder what they did for a gearbox?