Diagnosing No Heat Problem in '00 Golf

Steve777

Veteran Member
At the end of last winter, my 00 golf suddenly stopped having heat. The blower fan still works fine, and air still comes out of the ducts, it's just no longer hot, even with the engine fully up to temp. No signs of a heater core or other coolant leak, no antifreeze smells or water in the car, and the res says at level.

My first pass at diagnosing this was to feel the heater core hoses at the firewall with the engine running at temp. The passenger side one was warm/hot while the driver side one quite a bit cooler. I figured that the heater core was plugged. So I disconnected the hoses to the core and tried flushing the heater core. Well the heater core was clear; water went thru both ways and no debris or gunk came out. I also tried blowing thru it by mouth, and could do so freely.

OK, put the car back together, but I am puzzled about where to look next. I am surprised that the core was not plugged, are there other places that blocks to the heater core coolant often happen? Possible heater control box flap(s) not working?

Any suggestions on this problem.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Possible heater control box flap(s) not working?
Yup, that's definitely your second suspect...and specifically, the foam seals on the flaps.

A bit of searching here should turn up lotsa threads on this, and iirc there's a couple good ones with pictures. If not here, vwvortex will have some...it's a pretty common problem. :(:)