Dear John: I need an efficient diesel sedan under $30,000

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I happened to rent a gas Cruize in San Francisco last Saturday and I have to say I was far more impressed with it than I thought I would be. It was underpowered for the hills in SF, I didn't like pieces of fabric on the dash, and my back seat passenger was a little cramped, but otherwise, I had no complaints. Even with 50,000 miles on it, the suspension seemed good and I would not characterize it as loose. In a diesel model, it would seem to be a decent vehicle.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
I happened to rent a gas Cruize in San Francisco last Saturday and I have to say I was far more impressed with it than I thought I would be. It was underpowered for the hills in SF, I didn't like pieces of fabric on the dash, and my back seat passenger was a little cramped, but otherwise, I had no complaints. Even with 50,000 miles on it, the suspension seemed good and I would not characterize it as loose. In a diesel model, it would seem to be a decent vehicle.
It should be, since it is a Corolla in disguise.

Corollas have been great cars for the past 20+ years.

In fact: in 1993, the Corolla (and its Prizm alter ego...) was a better car than the Jetta.

Ever since then, the crown has been going back and forth.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
my inlaws have a gas 4-cyl cruze and it has a solid feel to it. comfortable but i've only ever been in the front passenger seat. well appointed & reasonably quick but better on the highway as a cruiser(hence the name?). so diesel cruze would be @ the upper limit of $30k wouldn't it? value jetta would be a better deal but a little more bare-bones.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I recall dropping off a bud at the local Chev dealer. i stuck around until he was sure his Corvette was ready. I took the opportunity to listen to the Cruze (hood up) diesel. Noise!

I know it's a diesel (but - admitting to some bias - my JSW is pretty quiet by comparison)

Fuelly.com shows some good numbers for a FEW good Cruze drivers though..............

ez

Last edited:

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
Taking stimulus money knocks that brand out of the water for me.
So you won't buy a Ford or Dodge either, right? They ALL took money. They all had the same obligations to pay it back. GM is the only one that really screwed the pooch on the deal, but it wasn't the company, nor the cars, it was a few executives who couldn't be bothered to do their jobs and earn their rerarded wages in a somewhat fair manner, so they decided they would stimulate their bank accounts and let the company go under anyway.

No reason not to buy their cars.

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Taking stimulus money knocks that brand out of the water for me.
Are you aware that essentially every small business in America received stimulus funds through a number of measures such as accelerated depreciation deductions. Will that cause you to stop dealing with all small businesses? (now that I think about it, all tax payers with individual income under $75,000 also received a stimulus payment as part of their 2008 tax filing - hopefully you weren't one of those ;))

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
No CHEVY in my Garage, no way ! CHRYSLER and FORD are ok for me.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
So you won't buy a Ford or Dodge either, right? They ALL took money. They all had the same obligations to pay it back. GM is the only one that really screwed the pooch on the deal, but it wasn't the company, nor the cars, it was a few executives who couldn't be bothered to do their jobs and earn their rerarded wages in a somewhat fair manner, so they decided they would stimulate their bank accounts and let the company go under anyway.
No reason not to buy their cars.
Christ, get your facts straight.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

Bill

Minion

TDI
01 Golf 5-speed
I wouldn't really consider a companies political/financial problems a choice in purchasing my next car. I more look at the quality of the construction and the price. If the company has some issues like say child labor.... Then I'd think twice.

You all are forgetting many auto manufacturers have had troubled pasts and still continue to purchase their cars.

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
High Horse

For those that want to jump on the "Politically Correct" / "Holier-Than-Thou" Horse....

I mean really? This is a VW forum... Go read some History... Search on ****** and Volkswagen and learn about how the company made cars for German Military for WWII... And then realize that the company was in such bad shape after the war that Ford didn't even want VW...

It is sad what has happened to the US Auto Industry, I agree with that -

Chrysler over GM? Hey, Chrysler has been bailed out multiple times (recently and then back in what 1979ish?)... So they should pay back quicker, they have more experience in the dept. of screwing up...

I am pissed at GM for other reasons - like no diesel Suburban since 1999 MY...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Back to the OP, I'd push for the Sportswagen. Get the usable room of an SUV with the driving capabilities of a sedan and mileage of the diesel. Easy to keep the price under $30k US.

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
Where the hell is the Passat Alltrack? I mean come ON already! I would come back to VW for that, but nothing else.

I love everything about my Subaru Outback, except the crappy MPG's (26 combined, are you kidding me? Barely can eek out 30 hwy.), and the absolute LACK of low end torque. I don't need torque to go fast or anything, I just got lazy driving my old Golf TDI and my Diesel truck. Need to speed up? Push the throttle a half inch, climb up that hill, whatever. Now it's all: downshift and floor it, but be ready to shift again. Real PITA. And the torque is nice for low speed tent trailer maneuvering. Crap, I feel like I'm going to lose my clutch every time I back in to a camp site.

Come on VW, get with it. No, it won't cut into your Audi sales, [self censored]

Sorry, I'm just getting fed up with marketing garbage preventing the right thing from happening everywhere.

OP, I apologize. Moderators, please ignore this post, I'm just fed up, needed to vent. Delete at will if you must.

Last edited:

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
For those that want to jump on the "Politically Correct" / "Holier-Than-Thou" Horse....

I mean really? This is a VW forum... Go read some History... Search on ****** and Volkswagen and learn about how the company made cars for German Military for WWII... And then realize that the company was in such bad shape after the war that Ford didn't even want VW...

It is sad what has happened to the US Auto Industry, I agree with that -

Chrysler over GM? Hey, Chrysler has been bailed out multiple times (recently and then back in what 1979ish?)... So they should pay back quicker, they have more experience in the dept. of screwing up...

I am pissed at GM for other reasons - like no diesel Suburban since 1999 MY...
But....you can get a Chevy Cruze Diesel. Progress comes in baby steps.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Where the hell is the Passat Alltrack?
Noooo! I want a KISS TDI (keep it simple...). My biggest fear is that VW will do to the Golf/Jetta wagon what it did to the Audi A4 wagon and make the Alltrack/Allroad the ONLY option, adding $$$, complexity, and useless junk. Subaru did the same trick when they discontinued the Legacy wagon making the ugly, plasti-cladded Outback the only "wagon" available.

In fact I was thrilled to find out that finally VW puts the TDI in its base or near base models in Canada now, the best deal being just over $22k for a Jetta Trendline+. The Golf wagon Trendline is now also available as a TDI and the new Mk VII Golf will have a TDI available in Trendline trim.

I don't need AWD, plastic cladding, adjustable suspension height, etc. Just a good basic TDI wagon or hatch. FWD and stability control is all I've ever needed in the most severe Quebec winters.

A Passat Alltrack TDI will be north of $40k for sure. I'm all for VW offering one if they DON'T gut the wagon lineup by removing the option for a Trendline or Comfortline FWD. A good friend of mine had an Audi A6 Allroad, and that thing was a money pit for repairs.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I would consider the awd option if I had to deal with more winter. I agree that it won't be good for any of us if VW makes that the only option for the wagen.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
Noooo! I want a KISS TDI (keep it simple...). My biggest fear is that VW will do to the Golf/Jetta wagon what it did to the Audi A4 wagon and make the Alltrack/Allroad the ONLY option, adding $$$, complexity, and useless junk. Subaru did the same trick when they discontinued the Legacy wagon making the ugly, plasti-cladded Outback the only "wagon" available.
I don't need AWD, plastic cladding, adjustable suspension height, etc. Just a good basic TDI wagon or hatch. FWD and stability control is all I've ever needed in the most severe Quebec winters.

You are so right with your comments!! (I would add that I also don't need ever larger wheels and tires on every new car either.) I'm really looking forward to the Gen 7 wagon, but won't buy one if it only comes in AWD with sunroof, blah, blah. Just wish it was offered with the BlueMotion 1.6 TDI for the best fuel economy, but that will never happen.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I would consider the awd option if I had to deal with more winter. I agree that it won't be good for any of us if VW makes that the only option for the wagen.
Southern Quebec winters are as bad as they come, and this winter has been among the worst: ice, snow, sleet, slush, and sometimes like yesterday, all of the above in one day.

Never needed AWD in spite of that. Front-wheel drive, 4 good snow tires (Michelin X-ice), stability control, manual transmission and 40 years of winter driving experience make AWD a waste of money at purchase, a waste of money at the pump, and a waste of money when expensive repairs of the hardware are needed.