Dealership Experience, VW vs. Honda

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
My girlfriend has a 2001 Civic that needed to go to a dealer recently. (Turns out that they have a lifetime seatbelt warranty, and she had a microswitch give out in her SB buckle.) I picked a Honda dealer near where I work, and had them do the freebie buckle swap. ($300+ if she had to pay-- evidently the $215 buckle has explosives in it!)

I went in to inquire about the warranty (not driving her car at the time). One of the service writers helped me. He said that it was, indeed, covered under warranty, but they couldn't order the part without diagnosing it themselves, and to just bring it in for that. They missed the part about me having to set up an appointment. I brought it in the next day, and they turned me away because I didn't have an appointment. I was pissed, and set up an appointment for the next day. When I came in, they remembered me, remembered that I was mad, and went out of their way to treat me right. They are a very busy shop, and it turns out that any shop visit is going to be a half-day, at least. They did a "free safety check", where they outline all the ways they would like to get my money. I caught them red-handed. They said the cabin filter needed to be replaced, and I had just put in a brand new one a couple of days before. GF's glovebox is completely full of stuff, which has to be removed to check the filter-- I'm positive they fudged that part. Also recommended a tranny flush, which she had just done. Other than the minor attempted fleecing, the experience was very good, overall.

I have only darkened the door of the VW service department when I absolutely need to-- like having a new key programmed. My impression of VW service departments has been universally negative-- the techs seem sleazy, the service writers seem to have a 'tude, and the overall experience is bad. I got my car at a dealer, and interacted with their service department then, and have had a couple other encounters. I do go to several dealers for parts, though. Almost every time, a shark-like salesman comes out and tries to sell me a car. If I'm waiting for something, I sometimes chat them up. Every salesman I've talked to had a SHOCKING lack of knowledge of the product. Very little knowledge of diesels in general or TDIs in particular. No idea about when generations changed (MKV-MKVI, etc.). I've even had a couple argue with me about technical things, where they don't have a clue.

VW parts departments are a little better, but not much. I've run into several parts guys that don't seem to know a thing about cars-- how does that happen? I've been fixing up a little old Honda car ('87 CRX Si), and I hit the Honda parts departments often. They have all been incredible. Schomp Honda in Littleton in particular is fantastic. I've had guys spend a half an hour helping me track down some discontinued part, knowing they're not going to make a dime from me. Seriously-- I've hardly ever experienced better service anywhere.

So, now that VW wants to sell a lot more cars in the states, I think they're going to run into a real problem with their inferior dealerships. (I know, I know, they're not all bad. I'm sure there are tons of great VW techs working at dealership-- I'm not bashing them.) Look at the intercooler icing issues we're seeing on the CRs-- some folks are having to BEG for months to get a well-known TSB issue taken care of. Others are breezing right through. They're not only crooked, sleazy, and dishonest, they're inconsistent about it. What gives? Anyone have a theory of why VW dealerships are so lousy? Usually (IMHO) when a company is evil, there is either evil leadership at the top, or a lack of leadership. I've actually quit a job/career to get away from a toxic corporate culture. Two, now that I think about it... I feel sorry for the good folks who happen to work at a VW dealer, knowing their customers are getting abused, leaving with a very poor opinion of VW. The folks at the Honda place all seem to love their jobs. :confused::confused::confused:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I think there are personnel problems at dealerships. But I think there are also a lot of behaviors that are caused by VW itself and its aversion to, or acceptance of, the warranty repair problems caused by their own products. So what we are seeing is an amalgamation of both personnel and the attitudes inherent in the people that have been hired there and VW policies as implemented by their own factory reps.

Fixing this problem is something that would have to start at VW. Given the responses that people on this site report when they try and contact VW directly, there is nothing in the organization at any level that will change this anytime soon.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
not to beat of VW but at the dealer where i go there is this service writer (a pretty looking blonde woman) that one time answered the phone when i called because i have the engine light on and she couldn't tell me if the car was safe to drive or i needed to have it towed to them - she actually asked me. the manager said that was safe to drive so i drove it there, my car is a manual and she came inside asking if somebody could move the car for her because it was a manual

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
not to beat of VW but at the dealer where i go there is this service writer (a pretty looking blonde woman) that one time answered the phone when i called because i have the engine light on and she couldn't tell me if the car was safe to drive or i needed to have it towed to them - she actually asked me. the manager said that was safe to drive so i drove it there, my car is a manual and she came inside asking if somebody could move the car for her because it was a manual
In fairness, how can someone tell you (ie diagnose) over the telephone or the internet whether a car is "safe" to drive (with a MIL on in your case)? Also, the female aversion to manuals is well known, often cited and bitterly contested by the PC crowd :D.

Addressing some of the other comments in this thread, dealerships do not tend to attract enthusiasts (ie car guys/gals) in the sales ranks. Torturing a sales person with their product (ie lack of knowledge) is actually fun in a sadistic sense.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
VW is notoriously bad... but there are good and bad dealerships of all brands. My brother bought a Honda in 2008. The first dealership he went to didn't want to let him take a Fit for a test drive (he's pushing 40, so it's not like a kid out for a joyride). Also, they told him that they expect most people to pay CASH for the car, and that they don't do much financing. He left that dealership and bought his Fit from another one 30 miles away.

I had a good experience with Toyota/Scion. Not only was the purchase easy (no haggle Scion "true pricing"), but a couple years later, they put new tires on my car cheaper than any tire shop in town... and on Christmas eve! Their dealership was bustling that day... they had a full crew on hand, and had a nice lounge area with desks, free wifi, free coffee (and good, too), a plasma TV, and some vending machines. They came out about every 15 minutes to give me a status update.

I recently bought a Subaru Outback. My experience at the dealership was very good. They had a play room for kids (I had my 1.5 year old boy with me), and the salesman was very accommodating... letting me take it for a nice, long test drive with my boy's car seat hooked up in the back. I actually ended up buying the one I test drive.

I haven't dealt with their service department yet, but I plan on using them for any major stuff. I know there's magic and voodoo going on in the AWD drive train... so I don't know if I'd trust a corner shop to work on it.

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
Conan,

I live in Denver and my experience with Honda vs VW have been similar to yours. My local VW dealer does provide decent service, no issues so far, but certainly are not friendly initially. They would not go out their way like Honda folks to get your issue resolved. Regarding Sales ---To be fair Honda sales people are as much idiots as VW sales guys are. Try quizzing them on technical aspects of their cars.. Most of them are clueless...

+1 on Schomp parts department. They have best prices, inventory and knowledge.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
I think there are personnel problems at dealerships. But I think there are also a lot of behaviors that are caused by VW itself and its aversion to, or acceptance of, the warranty repair problems caused by their own products. So what we are seeing is an amalgamation of both personnel and the attitudes inherent in the people that have been hired there and VW policies as implemented by their own factory reps.

Fixing this problem is something that would have to start at VW. Given the responses that people on this site report when they try and contact VW directly, there is nothing in the organization at any level that will change this anytime soon.
VW could completely remove VWoA due to complete ignorance and screwing up the entire US market. I still cant believe one of the worlds largest automakers has a tiny fraction of the US market and no one at the top notices:rolleyes:

I guy that sits behind me was a huge VW loyalist and owned VW's most of his life. I believe the Tiguan was his 6th VW bought new and he got so fed up with the dealer BS he traded it in after a little over a year for a big loss. He was their perfect customer buying new every 7 years and only buying VW's. They lost a lifer over stupid recalls and screwing up the repairs:rolleyes:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
There are 3 or 4 different parts guys at the local dealer, I've only ever dealt with parts, except for one salesman who pretty much knew I was just taking the JSW for a joy ride :p

Of those 3 or 4 parts guys, one is always negative and not helpful at all. One is not negative and only a little knowledgeable and helpful, one a little more knowledgeable and helpful. None of them really know their stuff enough to be able to get me a different seal that will work, or a bolt I can cut down.
All of them give me confused looks when I have them look up parts off of 6 different cars to find parts for my Passat, especially when I show them where to find my Passat in ETKA when we can't find the right part on a US car.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
My girlfriend has a 2001 Civic that needed to go to a dealer recently. (Turns out that they have a lifetime seatbelt warranty, and she had a microswitch give out in her SB buckle.) I picked a Honda dealer near where I work, and had them do the freebie buckle swap. ($300+ if she had to pay-- evidently the $215 buckle has explosives in it!)
Mile High Honda has a incredible service department, likely one of the best I've ever experienced. The interesting part is its a monster dealership yet they still manage to keep every aspect of the operation almost flawless. When i use to commute to Aurora everyday they took care of my beater 92 Accord so i visited them often racking up 3K+ miles a month. Even though my car was 15+ years old i got the same treatment as someone servicing one of their brand new vehicles. They offered food and drinks in the waiting area and free loaners if i needed to leave. I ended up giving the accord to my nephew for his 1st car and replaced it with the Golf TDI.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
In fairness, how can someone tell you (ie diagnose) over the telephone or the internet whether a car is "safe" to drive (with a MIL on in your case)? Also, the female aversion to manuals is well known, often cited and bitterly contested by the PC crowd :D.
Easy. The service writer could be familiar with the main points of the owner's manual which says if the CEL is steady, the car is safe to drive, and if it is flashing, it isn't safe to drive. I had a CEL once on my previous Passat, called the dealer, and the service writer told me that exactly. I looked it up in the manual and he was correct.

It's not asking too much that service writers be able to deal with simple questions like this.

And be able to handle a stick. I mean in the car :eek:

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Well lets see; in a 30 year career I have worked at 11 Dealerships, some for as long as 6 years some for a month or 2. Some were multi-line some single line, most were standard line, one was luxury. Years ago all of them had their former top technician as the Service Manager. Years ago all of them cared about the customer and generally were a notch or 2 above the independent garage. Now all of that has changed. The managers are experts in marketing but rarely know as much as a entry level technician. The Japanese dealers in general can be nicer to you but that isn't necessarily true either. Over the years the dealers changed their focus to simply try and get as much money as possible from you. This is universal. I guarantee nowadays at most dealers you would be hard pressed to find one tech over 35. Most of them have no idea how to fix a car, just how to change parts. Most of the good technicians have retired or gone into business for themselves. Honestly, what does it matter how anyone is treated if they cannot fix your car properly?

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Easy. The service writer could be familiar with the main points of the owner's manual which says if the CEL is steady, the car is safe to drive, and if it is flashing, it isn't safe to drive. I had a CEL once on my previous Passat, called the dealer, and the service writer told me that exactly. I looked it up in the manual and he was correct.
It's not asking too much that service writers be able to deal with simple questions like this.
And be able to handle a stick. I mean in the car :eek:
Flashing MIL means cat converter damage imminent.