Deadline to accept offer ??

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
I received my buyback offer, and plan to accept it at some point.
However, I have read all the documents multiple times, and I can't find a deadline for when I must accept the offer by ? Seems odd, rarely will you receive a legal offer letter for something with no deadline.
What stops me holding off for a year, and staying under their mandated 12500 miles/yr ??

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
What stops me holding off for a year, and staying under their mandated 12500 miles/yr ??
Nothing at all. Nothing stops you from going over 12500/year either, it'll just reduce your payment when you turn in the car.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
The only deadlines are that your claim must be submitted by 9/1/18, and the buyback must be complete by 12/31/18. To be on the safe side, I'd return the offer by 9/1/18.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Thx, I have read that in a few forum posts, but cannot find anything within any of VW documents or legal offer to factually support that. I guess I will just sit on it and see what VW does. I definitely want to sell it back to them, but if I can stall for 24 months and drive it for free in the meantime (if I stay under 12500/yr), why not ?!

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Thx, I have read that in a few forum posts, but cannot find anything within any of VW documents or legal offer to factually support that. I guess I will just sit on it and see what VW does. I definitely want to sell it back to them, but if I can stall for 24 months and drive it for free in the meantime (if I stay under 12500/yr), why not ?!
Why not? If anything breaks, it'll be on your dime. (HPFP, Trans, Turbo... atleas the turbo would be covered by warranty.) Also, a total loss collision could complicate things for you a bit. Don't blame you though, I'm waiting it out on my Jetta for now. I may still decide to keep it, but I want to know all the details on the fix first.

S

SmokeyPete

Hi Charlie,

I'm in the same boat. I'm at step 18 and when I selected the calendar option for my local VW Dealer I saw that as of today (Jan-9-2017) they are only booking out appointments up to May 6th 2017. While I do understand the official Sept 2018 deadline I wonder if certain parts of my buyback contract are rendered null-and-void if not submitted within a certain period of time. Kind of like a check or that frustrating $500.00 dealer loyalty card I was forced to use back in November 2016. :mad:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Discovered another quirk. My mileage is a bit higher than normal, so if I turn it in today I get approx $1000 deducted from the nominal value due to mileage. If i park it for 1 yr and turn it in with the same mileage in Jan 2018, I get approx $1000 more at settlement, as it will bring my mileage back into line, and I will no longer have a $1000 deduction. hummmmm.

MIA

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 09 JSW
Reading through my paperwork I thought I read that I have 90 days to complete the buyback after accepting their offer.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
No, that isn't correct. VW must have appointments available within 90 days of the date you're able to schedule, but there's no requirement (other than the end of the claims period in its entirety) on when you schedule it or complete the process.

VonShannon

TDI
2013 Golf TDI, 2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
+1
I completed all documentation and accepted their offer back in November. Don't plan on returning until 2018.

highontdi

TDI
1997 Passat Sedan (totaled), 1998 NB (on last legs), 2010 JSW (sold back 5/2/17)
So it still isn't clear in my mind. Do you think the OP should schedule the latest possible date, now and then move the appt later? Or can he just not do anything for x months, then log back on to the portal at a later date, and schedule his turn in appt???

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think there's any reason for OP to schedule anything until he's ready to turn the car in.