damaged rotor?

cactussam85

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 A3, '01 Golf TDI (retired)
A little earlier I was trying to free up an old strut and was unable to get it out with a deadfall, so I somewhat foolishly resorted to trying to use my floor jack to force it out and am worried I may now have caused some damage to my hub/rotor. It's able to wiggle around a bit and I didn't do anything to loosen it. Video and picture added for reference. Did I **** this up? Is it possible things will tighten back up once the lug nuts are back in place? I'll pay to replace it if it is, and I feel super dumb now, but I'm hoping it's salvageable :confused:

Photo: Dropbox link

Video: Wobbly rotor

Last edited:

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
The rotor is fastened as a unit with the wheel and wheel lugs, so its normal to be wobbly when the wheel is off. It may have felt solid before if it were stuck with rust. Put the wheel on and see if it still wobbles.

Edit: Forgot, there is also a small tapered torx screw that holds it on that usually breaks off on old cars. With the bolt in place it wont wobble which makes working on the brakes easier, but besides that I don't think it has any function. I can see its missing in your video.

These are the screws: http://www.idparts.com/rotor-screws-pair-p-1069.html
They go in that smaller odd hole: http://www.idparts.com/brembo-rotor-a4-front-p-330.html

These screws like to get stuck and or shear right off, they're really weak.

Last edited:

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I watched the video and it looks like it'll be ok. The rotor is moving, not the hub so that's good. It looks as though you have a small screw, around the 5 o'clock position, that is supposed to retain the rotor to the hub. Yours is likely damaged, loose, or broken. I'd say if you get it tightened up or replaced it'll be just fine

sent from my mobile look-at device

EDIT: oops too slow. Gatz beat me to it

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I'd say if you remove that silly screw you will be better off. The real reason for its existence is to retain the brake rotors as the car moves down the assembly line - it has brake stuff but no wheels and tires.

It serves only 1 use after the final assembly: something to get rusted and cause headaches for an owner trying to service his/her own brakes. If it gets very rusty, your only recourse is to drill off the head and twist it out with vise-grips. Really, that thing is just a PIA.

Back to the original question, by the video, everything looks great. You have done no apparent damage.

Cheers,

PH

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I'd say if you remove that silly screw you will be better off. The real reason for its existence is to retain the brake rotors as the car moves down the assembly line - it has brake stuff but no wheels and tires.

It serves only 1 use after the final assembly: something to get rusted and cause headaches for an owner trying to service his/her own brakes. If it gets very rusty, your only recourse is to drill off the head and twist it out with vise-grips. Really, that thing is just a PIA.

Cheers,

PH
Different strokes....
I think that it is a PITA not to have the screw like on the B5's.
The screw is very helpful in keeping the rotor aligned with the hub. Consider that when you are changing a flat tire on the side of the freeway in a rain storm in the dark.

An iddy-bitty amount of anti seize compound on the screw head and threads keeps it from getting stuck in the first place. It also does not need to be tightened with a breaker bar...just snugged. It can't go anywhere anyway.
VW has started to use SS screws recently that helps the situation but anti seize insures that it will be removable when you need to do that.

I am in Michigan which is a highly corrosive environment. I put anti-seize on the lug bolt shoulder and threads, the hub center and rotor mating face, and the face of the rotor that mates to the wheel. Without it, the alloy wheels just dissolve where they come in contact with the steel. Water likes to wick it's way between mating surfaces and the resulting rust will cause the surfaces to heave. On top of that, if the rotor gets rotated from its original mounted position and you have a broken rotor screw that is not flush with the hub's surface you will be torquing the rotor down on a lump under the rotor-to-hub surface. That is likely to put a wrinkle in the assembly.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The rotor is fastened as a unit with the wheel and wheel lugs, so its normal to be wobbly when the wheel is off. It may have felt solid before if it were stuck with rust. Put the wheel on and see if it still wobbles.

Edit: Forgot, there is also a small tapered torx screw that holds it on that usually breaks off on old cars. With the bolt in place it wont wobble which makes working on the brakes easier, but besides that I don't think it has any function. I can see its missing in your video.

These are the screws: http://www.idparts.com/rotor-screws-pair-p-1069.html
They go in that smaller odd hole: http://www.idparts.com/brembo-rotor-a4-front-p-330.html

These screws like to get stuck and or shear right off, they're really weak.
Most people have a phillips screw unless it has been updated. I agree with leaving it in there and use anti-seize on the threads.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I bought some replacement screws which I haven't used, but they have a Torx head. I agree with the anti-seize for anything which will come in contact with road salt.