CV Joint replacement question

gdunn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2k, Green, Auto: Jetta 2003, Black, Manual
I'm in the midst of changing my driver's side CV Joint and I think I might have found a problem. In the HowTo, they talk about:

1) Clip 1 - in the groove at the end of the axle.
2) Dished washer - a concave metal washer that butts up against the thrust washer.
3) Thrust washer - another washer (tough plastic)
4) Clip 2 - It's still 'in the groove' in the HowTo so I'm not sure what it looks like. I believe this one has to go on the axle first when re-assembling (then the dished washer, the thrust washer and clip 1).

If you look about 3/4 of the way down this page:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/CV-boot-broken-replacement.htm

You'll see a picture that (I think) shows that Clip 2 (he calls it 'inside clip'--it's not a full washer, but rather a large C shaped washer). That clip is nowhere to be found on my axle. A replacement didn't come in my new kit (although they did give me 2 of Clip #1).

I know this joint was changed in the past so I'm wondering if the previous mechanic forgot about it. Or was it supposed to come in my new kit?

Either way, I'm assuming it's important enough that I should get that part. The joint has been clicking on me ever since I've had the car and recently it's been getting worse. The joint & boot that came off looked good, so perhaps this missing clip has been the source of the clicking all along.

Any assistance is appreciated!

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
Yes, "inside" clip shown at myturbodiesel.com and "clip 2" on MOGolf's write up are one in the same. It is a very stout circlip that is the stop for the outer CV joint's splined inner half that slides on the axle. Circlip needs to be on the axle... I would think it would make noise it it wasn't installed.

You already answered this, but... Clean the axle and inspect closely, do you have a grove for the circlip and no clip, or is the clip installed but disguised to look like it is part of the axle under a layer of grease?

If I recall correctly, the GKN/Lobro replacement CV joint I ordered did not come with the inside circlip (mounts inboard), but did included the clip that mounts towards the outer side of the axle, along with the plastic thrust washer and dished steel washer.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The thrust washer goes between the joint and that circlip (clip 2) too. Without clip 2, there's no pressure for the circlip.

The only boot kits that come with *all* the pieces are the VW kits. I think I've had every brand of after market kit here. Some kits don't include the clip noted above, some don't have the thrust washer, some don't have the outer clip.

gdunn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2k, Green, Auto: Jetta 2003, Black, Manual
The plot thickens...

Thanks for the info. I have the GKN/Lobro kit so I guess it's normal to NOT have that inside clip.

I've cleaned the axle completely and the inside clip is not on the axle (I even went through the grease that I removed to see if I accidentally removed it in the process of cleaning things up). It's not there.

When I look at the axle, I don't see a groove for the inside clip to snap into. Working from the end of the axle inward I have (this is subtly different from the picture on page 5 in the HowTo): splines, groove for clip #1, more splines, a groove (<--note this), smooth metal and then shoulder (that the inside clip will slide up against). No groove immediately preceding the shoulder. Is that normal, or is this one of those cheap Chinese axles I've heard so much about? I can't find any VW part numbers on the axle anywhere so I'm wondering...

I just went for another look. The only part number is on the metal that mounts to the transmission (inside of the inner boot). The # on that metal is EMPI AU-203-3-827. The boot that came off it doesn't have a GKN # on it (like the new boot does). That makes me think that the previous owner went with a complete axle replacement and got one of those Chinese versions (yes, the car does exhibit some shake at idle--nothing teeth shattering like some say, but more than you'd like in this quality of a car).

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Look at the PDF page 5.

Clip 2 is still on the axle shaft in the groove. You need to remove it before sliding on the new boot. The small end of the new boot goes go the right of that clip (as pictured).
Put the small boot clamp on the axle shaft first, then the new boot and large clamp.
Once the new boot is in place, put clip 2 back on in its groove. I hope you have one.
Slide the dished washer up against it. It is dished so put it on the axle so the "cup" of it is facing the end of the axle.
Slide the thrust washer on next so that the "big" side of it is up against the dished washer.
Put clip #1 in its groove.
Grease the new joint and boot.
Push, or use a mallet, to put the joint on the axle until clip #1 holds it on.
Slide the boot and large clamp onto the joint. Cinch both clamps.