CV Axle - Replace both at the same time or just do one?

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
On deceleration, with a slight right turn, we get a pretty loud grumbling noise that I believe is the CV axle. I don't see the parts to rebuild the axle so now I am shopping for a GKN or Raxle replacement. Should I do both sides while I am down there or just the one that failed? Car has 129k miles.

How can I tell which side the failure is on? It's not obvious with the car on jackstands.

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
With the wheels off the ground did you carefully inspect the driveshafts? Rotate the shaft by hand and look for any play. Does the shaft wobble? Push the shaft in and out to check for play. Do this on both sides and you might find a difference.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Does one side have a torn boot? Look carefully at the small end of the boot where it goes around the axle. That is where mine failed and as I understand, a common failure point on the newer boots. If the boots are intact CV joints usually last a long time. The noise I hear in the video isn’t what I associate with a bad joint and which also usually is worst accelerating at full lock. My experience is only with outer joints though, maybe bad inner ones sound like yours?