Cruise Control Not Engaging

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Hey folks,

I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction here.

When I'm on the highway, my cruise control doesn't work about half the time. I flip the switch, the light comes on my dash, yet the Set button doesn't engage CC.

Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder if it might be as simple as replacing the stalk.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I'd perform a forum search. Many people have fixed it by cleaning the slider, but others have had to replace their clutch pedal switch or brake pedal switch. If you have VCDS, you can test all of those things using the cruise control measuring blocks.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - when i've seen the cruise not working, it's been the turn signal stalk. Some have reported cleaning and it working....I had a pile of them, so just swapped in a known good one.

You can check the functionality with the Measuring Blocks (MB#4? #6) in the Engine module with VCDS. Cruise and brake functionality show up - pushing pedals or flipping cruise switches changes various "0" to change to "1".

Last edited:

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
In my case it was the clutch switch, but yes, VCDS will show you the operation of the half-dozen or so switches involved, any one of which can disable CC.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Update: Measuring Block #6.

Group 006 (test with ignition switch on)
Speed
Brake pedal monitor
Cruise control system
Cruise control system (indicates if activated, 0 = activated but switched off, 1 = activated, swtiched on, 255 = not activated)
Cruise control system left digit: Clutch switch closed (clutch not depressed) = 0, 1 = clutch depressed
Cruise control system middle digit: CC/DFI brake pedal switch open (brake pedal depressed) = 1, 0 = pedal not depressed
Cruise control system right digit: brake light switch depressed pedal = 1, not depressed = 0
Right cruise control system 6 digit display has a 1, left to right, when:
  • Clutch operated
  • Brake pedal operated
  • Resume speed operated on the switch
  • Acceleration operated on the switch
  • Cruise control and memory switched off
  • Cruise controll system switched on
Pulled from this thread (helpfully titled: How to trouble shoot flakey cruise control )

debbie42

TDI
2000 vw
I had a tail light out which kept my cruise from working....put new bulb in tail light and then cruise worked again

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I also had this when I installed LED brake lights.
CEL might have been on also.