Crossed the 40,000 mile mark!!!

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I have "great" news. This morning I crossed the 40,000 mile mark. Yes, I am behind the curve...but only because I was deployed for 13 months. The car is running great. Next weekend it is getting a ++ 40K service (trans fluid, bolt tightness check, normal stuff, new tail lights and the list goes on).

While others are jumping ship and talking about this breaking and that loosing power...some of us are truly happy with our little German built engines, Japanese transmissions (IIRC) and Mexican chassis.

Have a great night!

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
my 09 tdi will be have 90k miles very soon, now it's at 87k

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I am glad to see these "high" mileage posts. It gives me confidence in my car. Of course I treat mine right, so I have no worries to begin with.

But you know what I mean.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
And to think there are folks on this forum that had 2009's and traded them at a loss because they were afraid that, someday, they might have a problem with their car because of the few who experienced HPFP or DSG issues. If only I was lucky enough to find some poor, afraid soul that wanted to rid himself of a perfectly good vehicle only because he was afraid of what "might" happen so I could have saved myself some $$$:p

Geniuses...absolute geniuses.........

Almost at 40K and still lovin it:D

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
SERVICE UPDATE:

Tonight I tackled about half of what I want to get done...had to stop at some point for the night. Thus far I have done:

-oil and filter change and used 2L to flush out stuff in the pan and installed a new ECS drain plug with magnet and brass washer
- changed fuel filter....and ZERO metal or water (that I could see) in the housing
- did one brake fluid reservoir change to freshen it up...it was a bit dark
- changed serpentine belt as the original was starting to have surface cracks (Bentley manual is wrong on how to change it...no 17mm wrench...you use a socket on the pulley and turn it that way)
- inspected front brakes...have more than 50% material left with no rotor scores
- silicone sprayed all rubber boots and hoses to keep them fresh

I was given the wrong trans fluid by the dealer so I have to return it and get the right stuff. I will post more tomorrow after I am done.

Last edited:

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Well, it may not be many miles to you, but since I left high school (many years ago) I have never kept a vehicle over 39,000 miles. I always got bored with it and traded it in. This is the exception...comfort, style, MPGs, reliability and such have firm in keeping it for many years to come. That said, here is what I did yesterday and today for those who care to read it:

- removed battery and cleaned the tray / treated the terminals with the red spray
- silicone sprayed all weatherstripping to keep it fresh and soft
- completed 4 tire rotation
- rear brakes are over 50% too with almost no drag from pad to rotor contact
- installed the ECS clear front marker lights and kept the clear bulb in..looks nice
- replaced front fog light bulbs
- installed the ECS sourced OEM silver outlined tail light assemblies (looks damn good...but had to modify the trunk mounted ones due to a small tab on the inside side of each housing that kept it from seating right and put too much of a gap between the light and the trunk)
- changed the cabin pollen filter

Finally I touched up the several chips and scratches in the paint with the OEM stuff from the dealer. Now my car has minimal sun fading on it, but the tube of silver against my car looks like I used Ford silver instead. So I am not too happy since now my scratches stand out more than when they were down to the primer...but at least it will help head off the inevitable rust in the coming years.

I am quite happy now. The car is ready for another 10,000 miles before the plate drops for another change and inspection.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I'll hit the big 4-0 on my Jetta in a couple of months... just in time for some Spring cleaning. I already have a box of goodies with oil and filters. I'd like to pull the wheels and do a good cleaning of them to get the winter scrundge off of them and put a good coat of wax on things. I'll check my brakes then.

So far it's been good car. The only hiccup has been water in the intercooler which was really not that huge of a issue. I had to wipe it out with a towel since there really wasn't enough to pour out. Otherwise,,, smooth sailing!

I agree about the factory touch-up paint.. it's garbage. I wish they'd go back to the little bottle with the brush that poked out. These paint pens are just too cheap.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
i grabbed good old fashioned touch up from a body shop last time. $6.00 if I recall, came with a brush, and matched perfectly

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Similar story

I have "great" news. This morning I crossed the 40,000 mile mark. Yes, I am behind the curve...but only because I was deployed for 13 months. The car is running great. Next weekend it is getting a ++ 40K service (trans fluid, bolt tightness check, normal stuff, new tail lights and the list goes on).
I'm in the same boat as you, I've been deployed twice since I bought my 09 TDI. Currently 71K, running fine so far.

Hope you get to stay home for awhile and rack up the miles!

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
32k miles today, last service with the dealer no issues at all.
knock on wood.

looking to get a set of HID's and fog soon and a new 2011 JSW for my wife.

For you guys oversees, God Bless You All.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
LEDs

32k miles today, last service with the dealer no issues at all.
knock on wood.

looking to get a set of HID's and fog soon and a new 2011 JSW for my wife.

For you guys oversees, God Bless You All.

I am looking to get some LEDs for the rear on my 09, they should be in this week :D

I wish I could say I was 100% maintenance free so far, but I was towed around 122 mi due to a fuel pump relay not being seated properly.

Thanks for the blessings, I've got one more trip coming up next January, then I'm done for a LONG time!

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
75K, not all fun

Turned 33k today. 33k miles of great fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm around 75K now, not all of them were fun. I spent 700 miserable miles one week on a single tank, painfully slow. Hyper-miling is NOT for me! I did reach 53.6 MPG average for a few hundred miles, around 48-49 overall.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE

I just hit 28k miles today. And I drove it new from Miami to Seattle in the first 6 days I owned it. :D
Enjoy your last free 10K service! When I was in Anchorage 2 winters ago, I noticed a significant number of people driving diesels of all kinds, thought that was interesting. I'm guessing there isn't too much truth to the "diesels don't start in winter" theory.... I figure if that many people can run them in Alaska, I have nothing to worry about here in PA :)

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
52K and rollin strong

Sup everyone.

Haven't been on the club for quite some time. Seems like yesterday I was changing my DSG fluid at 41K. I now have 52K miles and the car is running like a champ. Other than all those @#$% paint chips on my hood, the car looks great!!! No issues at all.

I took an oil sample at 48K, but haven't sent it in for analysis yet. Too busy I guess or getting lazy. The sense of urgency to constantly "fanaticize" about my car has subsided just a bit. :D Someone here said it best... Drive more, worry less.

PS
March Madness is here.. hoooorah. Go Buckeyes!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
my '10 rolled 33333 last week and will prob roll 34K sometime next week.