Cross platform Plus suspension swap question [lower control arm compatibility]

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
I'm getting ready to swap my B4 TDi's suspension to VR6 parts for the 5 lug upgrade and better handling capability [and because it's cheaper than replacing the 3 calipers on my car that don't work].
The control arms I'm about to order are listed as replacements for a VR6 Passat, but they have the MK3 Jetta swaybar endlink mounting on them instead of the hole for the Passat's end links.
Can I use the Jetta's swaybar on the Passat with the Jetta's control arms, or have I pulled a host of parts I simply can't use?
FWIW, I also have a complete '97 Passat GLX wagon that's gonna cost more to repair than it's worth despite having the cleanest body I've seen in PA.. I can take the entire swap kit from it if need be, but that doesn't help me get my TDi back on the road any sooner.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Really a stupid question. If you want to install parts from a different platform, usually you are playing a fools game. All you can really do is try it and if it works, you are golden.

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
I actually found all the information I needed on this about 5 minutes after I posted... which was 2 hours into searching.

Everything will work just fine, I'll just have to mix and match parts to get the right combination, but they're all swappable.

I'm now trying to figure out if the ZF or TRW rack weighs more, since I have both and there's no reason to add weight or keep weight where I have reasonable ability to remove it.

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
I guess that really depends on your definition of 'negligible'.

One has a steel case and the other aluminum, there may be a couple pounds of difference there and it's not like they're all that hard to change out when the subframes are already out of the cars. If one is lighter, I'd rather use it.

I'm gonna be removing the power steering while I'm swapping everything out and if I feel like it, I'll also be removing the rest of the A/C components and anything else extraneous and unnecessary that I can find while I'm at it.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
All of the Vr6 stuff has a wider track than the TDI suspension bits. You could even run mk2 front suspension bits for a narrower stance.

Also the R32 bushings are a nice upgrade to the control arms.

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
Well I just found out the knuckles I pulled have bad wheel bearings in them, so I'm gonna move over to my other parts car that has good and clean knuckles and all in it.

The other parts car actually is a Passat B4 wagon GLX that's in really nice shape, and I hate to part it out, but I really wanna get this stupid car on the road again, so I guess I'll put all the Jetta parts loosely on the GLX wagon just to keep it able to move around.

I'm actually gonna weigh both racks [complete] while they're out. The TRW rack will probably be for sale in case anyone wants it for a spare or to swap out their tired rack.

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi

Anyone have a clue what the metal bracket in the red circle is for?

I haven't seen a use for it in 5 or 6 VW's I've taken apart, I'm about to take it off the subframe because unnecessary weight.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Anyone have a clue what the metal bracket in the red circle is for?
I haven't seen a use for it in 5 or 6 VW's I've taken apart, I'm about to take it off the subframe because unnecessary weight.
Not sure what cars have them I think TDIs, but it is a big chunk of steal. I leave em off and even cut off the brackets usually if the sub frame is out. I think its suppose to help with vibrations or something.