Cr140 Turbo upgrade that has a flat torque line after spool up

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I've been wondering how a cr170 compares to the GTB turbos. Specifically torque output and mpg since the plan is to have a decently quick daily driver that gets to Highway speeds quickly while still returning 45mpg or better Highway while going ~68mph. Smoke minimal/free is also something I'd like to have.

Horsepower wise 180-200whp is my end goal.
Torque... Well the more the better, however I think it's more important to have a flat torque line instead of one that peaks at 2000rpm then quickly drops off. This alone is why I'm considering a GTB turbo.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm also wondering how the following turbos compare to the cr170 powerband wise:
GTB1756VK
GTB2056VK
GTB2260VK

Don't think the GTB2566VK would be a good idea given my goals for a good daily driver.

Honestly I think the cr170 would make a very good turbo for most of my goals... I've just gotta know how big a difference the GTB turbos will make.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
The CR170 turbo with proper tuning won't give you a flat torque curve, but it is really very strong, especially in the cost to performance ratio. Being a bolt on, with OE TIP and plumbing connections the upgrade is very easy and stealth. They are a hoot to drive, very quick with great roll-on power and OE refinement retained.

A GTB kit can give you a little flatter torque curve, but at much, much greater expense - time and money. When considering that route, don't forget all the supporting mods that will be required to make use of the extra HP, they add up really fast.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Here is a dyno of a 2260
Thanks for that! Insane amount of torque there too! 400ft lbs :eek:

The CR170 turbo with proper tuning won't give you a flat torque curve, but it is really very strong, especially in the cost to performance ratio. Being a bolt on, with OE TIP and plumbing connections the upgrade is very easy and stealth. They are a hoot to drive, very quick with great roll-on power and OE refinement retained.

A GTB kit can give you a little flatter torque curve, but at much, much greater expense - time and money. When considering that route, don't forget all the supporting mods that will be required to make use of the extra HP, they add up really fast.
You're absolutely right! The more I research the more I realize the cr170 turbo is the best bang for the buck. :cool:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I agree with A5Inky. Love my CR170. :)
Indeed... I don't think it's worth the massive investment to go with a GTB turbo and all the supporting mods for a daily driver.

The cr170 provides a good torque punch 500-700 rpm lower than the GTB turbos which of course = a better daily driver. And I know that it's missing 70-100 ft lbs, but again the supporting mods needed to use that 25% extra...
The costs truly seem to outweigh the benefits.