CR140 Stage 3

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
How much torque are you expecting? The last pull was 332. Both numbers are higher then Mark Malone claims.
The description in his site used to claim around 340, now it reads 320. For me if I got your numbers I would be OK with that. They are way higher than mine. My stage 2 never peaked below 292 and maxed at like 297. My stage 3 peaked at 307 once and was in the 270's most of the time.

I still get a grin when I drive so that's all that matters in the end.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
The description in his site used to claim around 340, now it reads 320. For me if I got your numbers I would be OK with that. They are way higher than mine. My stage 2 never peaked below 292 and maxed at like 297. My stage 3 peaked at 307 once and was in the 270's most of the time.

I understand about the grin, that's an automatic.

Maybe the dyno's read differently and the supporting mods differ.

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Gone, looking for a cheap commuter

Also remember it's a dyno... They can and will read all over the place. I've seen a truck do over 100hp difference on dynos.

Best thing to do is compare stock to mod on the same dyno, but who gives a crap, those are some sweet numbers :D

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
Also remember it's a dyno... They can and will read all over the place. I've seen a truck do over 100hp difference on dynos.
Best thing to do is compare stock to mod on the same dyno, but who gives a crap, those are some sweet numbers :D
Yeah, I've done three dyno runs on the same dyno. And have seen a stock one on it. From stock to what I have, it's great. Only mystery for me was how a turbo upgrade gave me less than 10tq increase. Oh well :p

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Yeah, I've done three dyno runs on the same dyno. And have seen a stock one on it. From stock to what I have, it's great. Only mystery for me was how a turbo upgrade gave me less than 10tq increase. Oh well :p
My tune could also be a little more aggressive. We switched a couple of things around.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Jim's car is fast.
Your just telling me your car is quicker since we have the same tune and supporting mods. Plus your comparing your Golf that's more then 300lbs lighter then my JSW :confused:

uninc

TDI
2012 GOLF TDI MKVI
Had a CR170 turbo and Sachs SRE DMF clutch kit put on over the weekend by Wisconsin Diesel Service and VL Performance. Those guys do great work, the car runs great. The CR170 DMF is working out well, no DMF shudder in 5th and a very very small amount of shudder in 6th. Almost feels more like a bit of lugging than the DMF. Its really easy to drive around it. A great solution for those worried about syncros and gear lash.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Had a CR170 turbo and Sachs SRE DMF clutch kit put on over the weekend by Wisconsin Diesel Service and VL Performance. Those guys do great work, the car runs great. The CR170 DMF is working out well, no DMF shudder in 5th and a very very small amount of shudder in 6th. Almost feels more like a bit of lugging than the DMF. Its really easy to drive around it. A great solution for those worried about syncros and gear lash.
How much torque is it rated for?

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Stage3 tune...correct?

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Kevin and Coty are great guys to work with.... They did my upgrade as well

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Keep us posted on whether that shudder gets worse. Mine started out not very bad, but even after mostly driving around the issue after 20k miles it is much worse. It has changed frequency (which I assume is due to the springs losing their elasticity or maybe some of them breaking) and required throttle to make it happen.

uninc

TDI
2012 GOLF TDI MKVI
Keep us posted on whether that shudder gets worse. Mine started out not very bad, but even after mostly driving around the issue after 20k miles it is much worse. It has changed frequency (which I assume is due to the springs losing their elasticity or maybe some of them breaking) and required throttle to make it happen.
Stock clutch??

extreme202

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Just ordered my CR170 turbo. It is shipping from Germany from Borg Warner and will take 6 weeks. Getting all the other parts from fixmyvw. Cant wait to get all the parts in so i can install them!

Golf tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Just ordered my CR170 turbo. It is shipping from Germany from Borg Warner and will take 6 weeks. Getting all the other parts from fixmyvw. Cant wait to get all the parts in so i can install them!
If you don't mind me asking you, why didn't you go with a vender here in the USA?

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
GDM should have them in stock.

Last edited:

mickyTDI

Veteran Member

Very true, my stock CR 140 vs it tuned with the CR170 turbo fitted, on the same dyno, had an increase of 45bhp at the crank. Now bearing in mind it was dynoed with the stock tune with the 170 turbo fitted. It read 152bhp at the crank over the supposed 140bhp. I'm not sure if the extra 12bhp was a result of just fitting the CR 170. If it is you are talking about an extra 57bhp on average at the crank! In that case the CR 170 turbo is a great bang for buck mod.

Last edited:

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
In several weeks there will be a Spring Sale on the CR170 turbo and the supporting kit, including gaskets, washer, and intake hoses.

Even better there will be a list of supporting modifications that can be included:

Full exhaust systems
Stage III or Stage 3custom tunes. ( the Stage 3 custom is more aggressive by moving the EGR probe and increasing the tuning. Tested with mechanical boost and EGT gauges to verify safe limits. You have to request it from Mark Malone. Its not listed on his website bur it is avialable).
DSG tunes
Inter cooler option
EGR race pipe
Clutch and fly wheel
Labor
and more.
There will even be a discounted flatbed pickup and delivery service within a certain radius.
There will be rental cars available at a discounted rate.

The prices will be determined on a scale. There will have to be at least 10 members participating and the discounts will increase at predetermined increments and how many options each individual is purchasing.

Sorry at this time this is all that was disclosed to me.

If you would like future information, please pm me and your information will be passed to the vendor for additional details.

MIVWTDI

Last edited:

Golf tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I have the new 3.5 tune done a couple days ago.The new map is even better than the last updated tune (stage 3).Jim had installed EGT gauge to make sure everything is good and it is.Malone has really impressed me this this new map the comparison pulls to follow I know will be much better than before.Thank you LES and your time Jim that you have spent to make it happen?.

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
I have the new 3.5 tune done a couple days ago.The new map is even better than the last updated tune (stage 3).Jim had installed EGT gauge to make sure everything is good and it is.Malone has really impressed me this this new map the comparison pulls to follow I know will be much better than before.Thank you LES and your time Jim that you have spent to make it happen?.
Hey Pete... How's the car running now with 3.5 tune. Where did you put the egt gauge in your car?

Golf tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Hey Pete... How's the car running now with 3.5 tune. Where did you put the egt gauge in your car?
Jim has the EGT gauge.He now has 2 of them.The car runs like a beast! Love it, I'm sure jim will post up pics of the new gauges.The new one takes place where the OEM one in the manifold was.Then the OEM one is moved to the new location in the down pipe.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
I put the EGT & manual Boost gauge in the center console by the ashtray. I'll post up pics asap. Also I had a custom race probe made to try to get the EGT's as quick as possible.

The gauges are not really necessary for the Stage 3.5. I'm running a Polar gauge also. We just wanted confirm the boost and egt's on the initial tune.

Last edited:

extreme202

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
If you don't mind me asking you, why didn't you go with a vender here in the USA?
I did get it from a vendor here in the USA its in my area, Detroit area, They are a distributor for Borg Warner and they could get me it for $690 i couldn't refuse.

Last edited:

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Jim has the EGT gauge.He now has 2 of them.The car runs like a beast! Love it, I'm sure jim will post up pics of the new gauges.The new one takes place where the OEM one in the manifold was.Then the OEM one is moved to the new location in the down pipe.

EGT and Boost gauge. I'll put up a pic where the OE EGT probe was moved to.

Last edited: