CP3 swap, hard start and rough idle after

ThatTDILife

TDI
2012 JSW 6MT in Plat. Grey Metalic
Hello all recently I had a CP3 fail on my car after 5k - 6k miles on it, I just got done swapping in the replacement and after priming everything up it sounds like it is running extremely rough and then will die shortly after. Here is a breakdown of all the issues I think that could be the problem/that I hit in the process of swapping out the cp3 and getting it running again

1. I messed up taking off the timing belt and had the car locked 180 degrees out, I realized this after I noticed some pressure while turning the engine over and found that I was 180 out, I then put the crank in between TDC and BDC and was able to free spin the cam and lock it in TDC, then I locked the crank back in TDC. I don't think I pulled on the crank hard enough to bend a valve when I had it contact as I noticed immediately that something wasn't right and found the problem.

2. I got some bad info when trying to swap the cp3's and was told to swap the feed line fitting from my old pump to my new pump as I wasn't able to get the thread adapter to come off the old one. when I took off the feed fitting from the old CP3 a check ball fell out and went into the abyss, finally after a ton of research I found that there are more in the old CP3 and was able to take one out of it and found a way to get off the old thread adapter as well. potentially the check ball is either the wrong size or is misaligned in the feed fitting as I had to put it into the pump as it was bolted into the car.

3. While priming the filter (New Donaldson filter with water trap) I noticed I never heard it get quieter like I am used to hearing once the filter is full, found that I had the feed and return lines on backwards at the sending unit and I was sending fuel from the sending unit in through the return side of my fuel system, it was only primed for roughly 30 to 45 seconds once I realized the mistake and fixed it, also worth noting that my return connection was not the best and it sprayed fuel all over the passenger side of the engine bay.

Besides those issues above nothing else weird happened with the install, also keep in mind this was slowly worked on over the course of about 3 weeks so its not like these all happened over a day or two. Below I am posting all the codes the car threw at me after I cleared them initially

P0087 - 003 and 001 too low

P0016 - CMP Sensor/ Engine Speed Sensor - Incorrect Correlation - Intermittent

P0193 - Fuel Pressure Sensor - Short to plus - Intermittent

P2294 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve - Open circuit - Intermittent

P0090 - Valve for Fuel metering - Open circuit - Intermittent

Here are the parts I reused and the ones that are new

New: CP3, Fuel pressure sensor (On passenger side of car (Damaged the old one trying to get it off the fuel rail to check for any metal in the rail)), New Fuel filter setup, Used sending unit from a buddies old car (80k miles on it with no issues)

Used: Reused all timing belt components, fuel metering valve off old CP3, fuel injectors, fuel rail and the sensor on the driver side of the car (Did install a new o-ring on that sensor as someone advised me to), all hard fuel lines, fuel temp sensor.

Should note that I thoroughly cleaned the lines from the front of the car back to the tank, the tank itself, the fuel rail, all hardlines, and the one or two fuel lines that were reused. The only lines I did not touch were the injector return lines.

Thank you guys for any and all help, sorry for the long post but I wanted to add any and all info I could

ThatTDILife

TDI
Was advised by someone to clean my fuel temp sensor and the hard line for the return so I will be doing that today and hopefully getting some better results

ThatTDILife

TDI
So I had a few things come up but I got around to clean those sensors as well as I installed worm style clamps on all the connections after one of the OE style messed up my thumb. Today I got around to trying to start it again after I primed the fuel pump for 5 - 10 minutes.

It did not actually start this time, it kicked over a lot like it really wanted to but I got no actual idle.

After a few attempts I ran some logs on fuel pressure readings, I didn't see it go over 1000 bar but I don't know what you are supposed to see.

Checked the fuel injector return lines and there was some fresh fuel in them so at least some of the injectors are trying to work

All the same codes came back, no new ones either though.

I did notice some exhaust smell, has me wondering of the car could somehow be sending exhaust through the intake and visa versa.

My next step is to check the wiring since I see so many open circuit codes but if anyone has any ideas please lmk