Cooling Fan and A/C

Jeff_Duncan

Veteran Member
My A/C compressor and clutch and freon was replaced at the dealer this week for a tune of 899.30.

They also advised me that the engine cooling fan on drivers side was not working. I asked how they tested and they couldn't answer me. They also said the A/C was fixed.

From what I read here the A/C won't work unless both fans are running. So, how could they have tested the A/C?

Maybe I am getting screwed if the issue was the fan and the dealer replaced the compressor and clutch and tried to throw the fan at me after. I declined and said I'll deal with the fan myself, just fix the A/C.

Maybe the A/C was fine and the fan just needed to be replaced?

Also, how can I test the radiator cooling fan without the car being hot? I know you guys have a way!

I have a VAG-COM if it's useful.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The AC would kinda work with just one fan going I would think...

To test it, turn the key on (don't have to start) and turn on the cabin fan and AC button when its above freezing. Both fans should come on low speed.

-Jason

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
If a fan motor is bad only one fan would work. The fans do NOT have to run for the A/C to work. After all if both fans were bad the A/C would still work, at least temporarily. They usually will though depending on ambient temp, humidity and of course, system pressure.

svrider

TDI
RIP: 2001 Jetta TDI Manual, 2002 Golf TDI KILL DA WABBIT!, 2012 Jetta TDI manual, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual
Hey Jeff,
I have been having AC problems too. My Drivers side fan was bad, I pulled it and now the passengers side seems to work ok (both speeds). I would strongly suggest unlugging the dead one until you can replace it so you don't fry the Cooling Fan Control Relay. That seems to be part of what happened to mine. I have a new relay module and my compressor still doesn't kick on, but I am going to create a new post about that. Good luck. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help since I am very familiar with that whole circuit now.

robzuk

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf, 2001 Golf, 1987 Cabrio
I hate hijacking someone's thread, but I'm still having issues with my driver's side cooling fan.

About 2 weeks ago I replaced it and it's back to doing the same thing. It won't come on and it smells like something electrical is cooking in the front of the car. I don't know a damned thing about electrical testing, but I'm guessing that the relay got cooked in the first fiasco? It cooked about 1.5" of the wire right at the fan on the first fan. I guess I'll be ordering the relay from Impex tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the wiring.

Last edited: