Coolant Heater Lower Grill Outlet

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
I've been wanting an easier, cleaner way of plugging and unplugging the Zerostart coolant heater since the first day I had to deal with a frozen up plug or had to fish it back through the grill.

I figured some kind of outlet should be readily available, although I wasn't able to find much choice - I ended up with a Marinco "On-board Charger Inlet" (part #150BBI; Marinco's specifications). Marinco products are readily available through just about any marine supply store. In Ottawa, I got mine from The Chandlery for less than CDN$20 (I also picked up a Pela oil extractor).

I did not want to cut the male plug off the Zerostart heater, so instead I cut the female end off an old exterior grade single outlet extension cord (~8" in length) and wired that into the Marinco outlet. This lets me plug/unplug the heater easily for any reason (removing the grill, removing the bumper, removing the heater, etc.). Not a necessary step, but one I'm glad I did.

Heater cord plugged into Marinco extension outlet. I also put some dielectric grease on each terminal as extra protection.

My initial thought was to put the outlet on the black part of the lower bumper valance. I was skeptical of this mostly because I wasn't confident in getting a solid fit because of the curves - there aren't too many completely flat areas of the size required, as the outer flange on the Marinco outlet is fairly large. I decided I would just put it in the grill - if it didn't work out, no biggie, finding a replacement grill would be easy enough.

I marked out the location of the outlet through the "solid" part of the grill, to make sure it would have maximum support when pushing in and pulling out the extension cord. I used a dremel and knife to do the cutting - a bit awkward and not the prettiest behind the scenes, but it worked. Be mindful of the retaining tabs on the grill; they can be easily bent while working on cutting the hole. A hole saw would work best, but I didn't have one of the appropriate size. This is important - the installation instructions call for a hole of 1 7/8" so that the threads will pass through easily. I would recommend <font color="red">1 3/4"</font> - just a bit smaller - so that you can thread the outlet into the grill and get a really good bite into the plastic. It is basically a friction fit, because you cannot use the threaded retaining ring to support the outlet - the grill is too deep.

I was going to silicone/goop the outlet in place, but I didn't need to - it is solid and won't budge. The outlet is barely noticeable in the grill. Time will tell how it handles the abuses of winter, but I think it will work well.

Extension cord plugged into outlet:

(Edit: Marinco links updated, Oct 2007)

Last edited:

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
nice work. I have Hella DRL's so I'd have to try something different, the center grille is pretty flimsy so that's not a good idea, I'll have to go out and take a look.

I go to Ottawa often, could you tell me where this store is located?

Thanks

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
It would be neat to mount it behind the VW emblem on the grill and sticking the emblem on the cover.

I doubt there would be enough room. You'd probably have the dremel the crap out of the grill too.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
The Chandlery is near the Richmond/Carling intersection. Exit the 417 at Pinecrest (north), bear right on Richmond, then left on Poulin (the light after you cross Carling). It's in the little mall immediately at the bottom of the hill. I'd call ahead and have it set aside, just in case. [Google Map]

Putting the outlet in the lower valance is definitely a viable option, but it's that extra bit more awkward to reach, a bit more vulnerable to road hazards, and the risk is a bit greater (albeit still minimal) if something goes wrong during the install.

You could put it ABOVE the grill, or on the side in front of the wheel, but to me that was an aesthetic issue, because you'd be cutting into the body coloured bumper. As you know, there's plenty of space behind the left front fender. Cut a 2-1/2" piece of paper and find a spot! The cord on the heater is quite long, too, so you aren't necessarily restricted to that corner of the car.

Ooooh yeah! Something behind the grill logo would be very cool!

boardom

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI PD - Beige/Black
That's a pretty sweet setup fitzski.. I've been thinking of something to do to keep the plug covered from the salt-death-roads we have to deal with... Want to do this up on my car too? ;]

J

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Hiya John! You've been pretty quiet lately... haven't noticed you around too much?

LOL - it's not a big job... took maybe 20 mins; make it 5 if you have 1-3/4" hole saw... Have you done the 5.5L washer tank? That's a bit more significant...

K2 TDI

Veteran Member
This is SWEET!

Now if you incorporate a Kussmaul AutoEject unit that would be the cat's ass - the plug spits out and the flap closes when you start the car.
http://www.kussmaul.com/091-18wp-120.html

My TDI heater plug used to wedge nicely in the "rails" of the lower grill (where you mounted your covered receptacle). Unfortunately it no longer does, plus the plug cover disintgrated over a few CNY winters. For now, I've routed the exposed plug along the inside of the hood, passes from beneath the hood by the drivers side hood hinge, and daylights in a protected place beneath the rake of the trailing edge of the hood near the drivers side WW shaft.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually... I did (briefly) consider one of those (or similar anyway)... They are used on firetrucks (and other emergency type equipment, I'd expect). They are huge, though. Something a bit more at home on the bumper of Cummins or Powerstroke...

But yeah - cool! I just want to see how far it ejects the plug!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Nice mod! I've got this on my list of mods now :D Damn you for giving me mod-itis tdiclub! :D

kubo

TDI
Golf 2003
pghPAtdi said:
Man, this is awesome, wicked awesome. :D I think i've looked at this post a dozen times.

Dave
booyah! :D same here. another simple, yet so usefull mod. things like these make me a tdiclub addict. I'm picking up mine today afternoon. Hats off for ingenuity. I have actually opened the Zerostart, and shortened the the power cable to make the install neater, and this will go very nicely with the setup.

Voules

TDI
2004 TDI Sport Edition
Many thanks to Fitzski for this excellent modification and addition to the Zerostart. This takes about an hour to do. On the advice of Fitski I used a 1 3/4 bit ( the kind you use for drilling holes in doors for the passage sets) and drilled from the back of the grill. A little filing with a rat tail file, some black automotive Goop and voila; tighter than anything. No more fishing for the plug behind the bumper for me. I would highly recommend this one!!

medrvmx5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Reflex Silver Jetta GL Wagon
That is a sweet modification, ordered one of these plugs, hopefully get it soon, and now can get rid of the salted up plug in the grill and finally have some protection.

Tony

fire32njetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Alaska Green TDI Jetta
K2 TDI said:
Now if you incorporate a Kussmaul AutoEject unit that would be the cat's ass - the plug spits out and the flap closes when you start the car.
http://www.kussmaul.com/091-18wp-120.html

My TDI heater plug used to wedge nicely in the "rails" of the lower grill (where you mounted your covered receptacle). Unfortunately it no longer does, plus the plug cover disintgrated over a few CNY winters. For now, I've routed the exposed plug along the inside of the hood, passes from beneath the hood by the drivers side hood hinge, and daylights in a protected place beneath the rake of the trailing edge of the hood near the drivers side WW shaft.
My friend wanted me to put an autoeject on mine when i put the TDIHeater in. Although he said i should just mount it in the fender. Not a bad idea but it would look odd.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
This is perfect !!! I have been looking for something like this for a while. Fitz rules !!!

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Great Job, I could easily see this adapted to the A5 body style with the use of the outer grilles with fog light openings.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Not just the A5 body style, I am getting one for my Mystique too. Hell everyone with plug in capability should get this.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Voules said:
Many thanks to Fitzski for this excellent modification and addition to the Zerostart. This takes about an hour to do. On the advice of Fitski I used a 1 3/4 bit ( the kind you use for drilling holes in doors for the passage sets) and drilled from the back of the grill. A little filing with a rat tail file, some black automotive Goop and voila; tighter than anything. No more fishing for the plug behind the bumper for me. I would highly recommend this one!!
Good stuff, Voules. Glad to hear that the 1-3/4" hole saw was a good option.

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
This is a great idea and I'm doing it.

BTW Sports Authority online has these shipped for $24.98 and you get $10 off if you sign up for google checkout and use it for the first time. I've already used google checkout to save about $100 on other stuff so I didn't get the discount.

truav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI Silver Auto
Just completed this mod for my coolant heater, and it works great. I went with the 1 3/4" hole, and it threaded nicely. A little clear silicone on the back for the heck of it, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks Fitzski!

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
I'm installing my heater today after a year's worth of procrastination. I love the Fitz-Mod for the power access. For those who have performed the outlet installation: How have the electrical contacts held up to the salt and grime? I'm just a tad concerned because mounting location is in what looks to be a high-salt area.

Also, the plastic 'hinge' for the plug cover looks in the pictures to be a likely point of failure -- somewhat flimsy looking. The plug would become a fine salt collection point if the cap were lost.

I'd be interested in your experience.

Thanks.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm through 2 winters now, and everything literally looks as good as new. On the worst days, when I get home and the whole front end is packed with salty slush, *nothing* gets in behind the cover. I was also worried about the rubber flap, but it's held up very well. It's never put under any strain, and I haven't noticed any ill effects from sun exposure - it's still smooth and flexible.

In short: no worries!

Reading through my initial post... I did make one change. I did end up putting some silicone adhesive (I think it was Goop, actually) around the back of the outlet in the grill to add more strength. It hasn't budged at all.

Last edited:

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Thanks very much, Fitz.
If it works for you folks up north it should be good for me! I'm off to order one now.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
You could just buy a small peice of cable and a female end to put on it so you don't ruin a perfectly good extension cord.

Awsome mod otherwise though!

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
I've had a 1500 and 750w zerostart since Jan or Feb and I finished installing both recently. I've got the 1500w on my Golf with one of those Marinco plugs mounted using a hole saw on the lower grille outlet. I've got the 750w on the Jetta with no plug yet since I want to keep the front stock.