Converting dual stage to single stage injection.

Randall

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 & 2000 new beetles
I decided to mess with my injectors on my 98 ALH. It had been 250k miles since I last played with my injectors

About 8 years ago I put used automatic “tiny” nozzles I dug out of a buddies junk can. The car now has 400k on it and was starting to idle rough. The car always got 45-55 mpg depending on how hard I drove it.

The pop pressures had drifted in 8 years and spray pattern was awful. The car still averaged 45-55 mph but it was time.

Cleaned them up, threw on Wuzetem 442’s “my favorite brand” then I got crazy. After setting them up at 225/305 I decided to just disable the first stage. I double set them on the second pop for 305 triple checked and threw them in the car.

I didn’t know what to expect. After resetting my IQ to my “usual wet noodle” no smoke setting they were pretty much like any other injector. I did seem to have a little more smoke when romping on it. I set the IQ as high as I could go “ lowest fueling” and still start the car ok. The sound was different. Had a little more ping. I pulled the injectors again and set them back up for dual stage, did my IQ settings and tested. Less ping, less smoke. Same acceleration and power.

The 442’s had a great new spray pattern and are so consistent nozzle to nozzle. I can set up a body and go through a whole box of nozzles and not have to shim a single one. The consistency is impressive and makes my work so much easier.

I don’t expect much of a MPG change. I usually get 750-800 on a tank so it might be a few weeks before I update this. However the car is running super smooth. You can barley feel the engine at idle.

juat wanted to share what switching to single stage did. I could switch them back to single but based on my smoke I don’t think they would be as efficient.

I just wanted to clarify “it’s very hard to get this car to smoke at all” if I shift from first to second a little early and floor it I can barley see smoke. I consider that a lot of smoke lol. When on single stage mode after calibrating iQ and everything the same way there was a little more smoke. I think dual stage is more efficient but I will miss the lovely “ping”

Last edited: