Continuous DEF Faults - Dealer can't fix

1badsnake

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Hoping for some advice on where to go from here. I have a 14 Passat with about 104,000 miles now on it. My 10 year emissions warranty ends this April. I have been having continuous DEF faults over the past 28,000 miles. What happens is the following...

CEL pops up and then less then a minute later the beep starts on the dash and the 200 miles to no start for DEF fault pops up. I have I believe 10 work orders now from 76k to now with complaints of CEL. I'm going to list my work orders so people can understand everything and notes from tech/dealer

76k - 200 mile to no start, confirmed code P204F. Advised that DEF was near empty (it wasn't, it was almost full so they lied on this). "Suspect tank was low and adblue sucked in air". ------ the low DEF alert never happened, it wasn't low. Was irate that they would state something like this. They reset the CEL and sent me on my way

79k - CEL light on - p2200 and p2201 found, replaced nox sensor.
80k - CEL is on - p205B ad blue temp sensor - replaced scr heater module and ad blue tank heater w/temp sensor.
85k - cel is on with 200 mile adblue error. - fault due to defective mass air flow sensor. replaced MAF
93k - CEL light is on with DEF 200 mile count down. Vehicle reset itself before I could get to dealer but have pictures of both warnings.
97k - CEL light was on, cleared itself before I could drop it off. dropped off, no CEL and dealer would not do anything because VW won't do anything without a CEL.
100k - found DEF injector crystalized, replaced injector as it was "leaking".
103k - dealer replaced NOX sensor per VW again due to CEL. Had vehicle for 23 days
103k - CEL and DEF countdown after 2 days from picking up car. VW had them replace the NOX catalyst.
103k - two days again after picking up "fixed", CEL and DEF countdown and it was dropped off today at dealer.

I have pictures to back up every CEL with mileage etc. I have the dealer stating VW is just having them throw parts at it.. there was no reason to have the NOX catalyst replaced.. has nothing to do with the DEF fault (their words). I've had 1 buyback request denied stating I didn't meet their criteria.

The first 5 work orders, I was denied a rental/loaner vehicle at the dealership level and VW wasn't of much help. My current dealer has been providing them at no charge.

Googling the P204F code, only things I find are people saying VW has no fix for this. Haven't found 1 person that has had this resolved. I can't delete emissions because my state tests. Frankly I don't trust the car and I shouldn't have to be going through this.

Also have from my dealer that they have had several customers going through this.. one person had 40+ work orders for this same issue and finally VW bought it back. They are not exaggerating about the 40 work orders. I have all this documented by the dealer. As stated, I have it from them as well that VW is just throwing parts at it. I don't know what's next as I have received basically a whole new emissions system minus the EGR and DPF. There is no TSB for the P204F code from VW.. so I'll be weeks again I'm sure till I get the phone call saying it's "fixed".

Worst part is that the 200 miles count down the last two times has not reset itself back to 200 miles. It went from 200 miles to 150.. reset. Popped back up at 150 and went down to 60 before it was dropped off at dealer. This is when it was reset again with the NOX catalyst replaced and when it popped up again two days later, it continued from 60 miles and now down to 30. I'm in fear I'll get it back "reset" and when it pops back up, it will start from 30 and end up leaving me stranded.

I can't take it on road trips.. have spent numerous days in the double digits for drop offs, pick ups, missing work, getting rides etc.

I don't know where to go from here. I'd love to lawyer up but don't want to have to pay out of pocket. The car purchased was $15,500 and that could easily be eaten up with attorneys fees.

Looking for some sound advice on how to get VW to buy it back and refund me.

Thanks for reading my book.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Contact VW and ask about a buyback for yours. The warranty doesn't end if they haven't resolved the issue, at least for this issue. Contact the class action lawyers who handled the VW emissions case.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If I didn't despise everything else with the CKRA, I'd try and buy one of these "unfixable" cars and fix it permanently... the NMS is a decent road trip sled otherwise. Really a shame.

1badsnake

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Wow,
Contact VW and ask about a buyback for yours. The warranty doesn't end if they haven't resolved the issue, at least for this issue. Contact the class action lawyers who handled the VW emissions case.
Can't believe I left that out. I did submit for a buyback, theybdenied it saying I didn't meet the criteria.

I submitted for a reconsideration prior to the nox catalyst being replaced and haven't heard back, it's been 2 months.

I've now contacted an attorney and meeting with him this week to go over everything.

1badsnake

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
If I didn't despise everything else with the CKRA, I'd try and buy one of these "unfixable" cars and fix it permanently... the NMS is a decent road trip sled otherwise. Really a shame.
Really loved this car. Have had zero issues except this crap.

Can't delete in my state due to emissions testing every year.

1badsnake

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Just got the phone call, car is ready... again.

VW told them to replace all 4 fuel injectors. What in the heck does fuel injectors have to do with a DEF fault.

And I will say the engine has always performed perfectly. No way the injectors are causing this.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Maybe the injectors aren't operating right (but not to a degree that affects drivability) and the resultant DEF injection calculation is causing a math error that's messing with the computer? How are your MPGs?

Of course, it's more likely they're just shotgunning parts at it (though I find it interesting that this time the dealer is claiming that VW Corporate's directing that, rather than another case of the Dealer just doing it themselves. At least it sounds like this is happening on VW's nickel...

1badsnake

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Maybe the injectors aren't operating right (but not to a degree that affects drivability) and the resultant DEF injection calculation is causing a math error that's messing with the computer? How are your MPGs?

Of course, it's more likely they're just shotgunning parts at it (though I find it interesting that this time the dealer is claiming that VW Corporate's directing that, rather than another case of the Dealer just doing it themselves. At least it sounds like this is happening on VW's nickel...
It's funny you say shotgunning because when I picked it up, that's exactly what the service manager did. Put his arms up, aimed and pulled the trigger. He also said "see you tomorrow" lol.

I average 42-43mpg all day long.

On a positive note, he stated that my case manager talked with him today and told him if it happens 1 more time, they are going to agree to buy it back. So we will see what happens.

Still pursuing a buyback through my attorney who I'm meeting with tomorrow. Not changing or risking my warranty being up in 3 months and being stuck with this.

Muzzi423

TDI
Passat tdi sel 2013
Does anyone know if the def fluid should trickle out of hose directly off the tank or should it have pressure?

Muzzi423

TDI
Passat tdi sel 2013
Replaced def heater and def pump 2 weeks ago went 400 miles and def 200 mile shut done light appeared again tank is full
Disconnected the def fluid connector started car 2013 Passat sel def fluid trickles out Should it have a constant flow to injector or a trickle?