Considering a 12 Treg

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I have been looking at a few SUV models and keep coming backing to Touaregs. I saw this one online I want to check out in person: http://www.audinatick.com/all-inventory/index.htm?listingConfigId=auto-new%2Cauto-used&compositeType=used&year=&make=Volkswagen&model=Touareg&start=0&sort=&facetbrowse=true&quick=true&searchLinkText=SEARCH&showInvTotals=false&showRadius=false&showReset=false&showSubmit=true&facetbrowseGridUnit=BLANK&showSelections=true&dependencies=city%3Aprovince%2Ccity%3Astate&suppressAllConditions=compliant

When I go look at it, what tips can you give me on questions to ask, things to look for? It looks like from the carfax that all the maintenance was done at Patrick Motors in Westborough MA. Do they have a good rep? I did notice in the carfax that it has had the alternator replaced, and for some reason the fuel tank was removed and reinstalled. Is that a big red flag saying stay away?

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Fuel tank would point me towards somebody put gas in it.

Also not sure what the affect dieselgate will have on these cars. I would be leary of getting into any of the cars at this time until it all plays out.

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Mis-fuelling a Tdi Touareg can cause the pump to chew itself into swarf resulting in HPFP failure which can run up a bill of up to $16,000 as everything in the fuel system may need to be replaced right up to, and including, the injectors.

If you can't find out for certain why the fuel tank was removed, run away.

Only buy a Touareg with a good warranty on it and keep it going.

At the moment the 3.0 Tdi still isn't in the clear as far as the VW emissions fraud is concerned. Personally I'd wait [nice colors though!].

johnt26

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
The car fax on a '12 TDI I'm looking at also said the fuel tank was removed and replaced, I had the same worries about "gas".

I called the dealer, they looked up the actual service. The tank was dropped to take care of an issue that the Ad Blue heating element wasn't working correctly, to get to it the fuel tank needed to be dropped.

So, if you can call the actual dealer and find out what service was performed.

Best,
John

johnt26

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
The fuel tank isn't close to the Ad Blue heating element? That's what the service writer told me unless I got it wrong. The main thing is that it wasn't removed because of a mis-fueling incident