Confirm some clutch symptoms for me?

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi All,

I just bought a 2006 PD from a family member. I know the clutch engagement has always been rough and at 115K it is still rough but no worse off than 4 or more years ago. I hope it hasn't taken a toll after this time...

The smoothness of the engine at idle is good as are all the shifts between gears. There is no slippage, no rattling when the car isn't moving. The harshness, hesitation, shuddering occurs when accelerating from a stop. It is almost impossible to make a smooth start without bringing up the revs and applying the accelerator while slipping the clutch. If you make a "casual" launch without this, the engine shudders until the clutch is totally engaged. This happens in 1st and reverse. The pedal pressure is light and consistent. I am not sure how else I can describe it...

Can you tell what is going on?

Does this need to be fixed immediately? What damage could this have already caused?

Assuming my clutch/flywheel is the cause, I was planning on putting in one of these: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_102&products_id=2831

Or maybe this one: http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-754/-dsh-New-Silent-Design-SBC/Detail

Are there any other things that would need attention? The mainshaft seal and transmission fluid should also be done at that time?

Last edited:

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Stopped to see Rich at Tremblay's Last Chance and he diagnosed it as a broken dual mass flywheel. Unfortunately I didn't stay for the entire clutch educational seminar he did for a recent TDI gathering. There are a few ways they fail, in his opinion this is a rare kind where the flywheel rotates off-center. The shuddering, he said, would not negatively effect the transmission. When I get it replaced I will try to remember to post some pictures!

PS - I know people have already sung the praises of Rich's shop but they are well deserved. He is truly a class act.

Last edited: