Compass in MFI

AsgorTDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 sp. manual
I have only had my 2011 Golf TDI for less than a month, so I apologize in advance for not being totally knowledgeable of all its features. However I think that the operation of the compass in the LCD screen between the gauges isn't exactly right.

When I am driving below highway speed (I can't say exactly what the threshold is), the compass indicator in the upper left of the screen appears and disappears every few seconds. Like: "N"... disappear... "N"... disappear... "NW"... disappear, etc. It does seem to be accurate, though.

As I mentioned, however, once driving on the highway the compass indicator remains permanently turned on.

Is this a fault or a "feature"? :)

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
The compass will disappear temporarily when you switch MFI screens, but if you're not pushing any buttons, it should stay right in place. At least that's the situation on my '11 Golf.

AsgorTDI

TDI
You didn't by any chance swap your stock radio for an RNS-510 did you?
You are right on target (well... almost). When I bought the car from the VW dealer they could only find one without NAVI - they had to do a dealer swap to get it. Once the vehicle arrived they swapped in a RNS-315 unit and had to recode the cluster appropriately. Note that all NAVI functions (well... except for this compass idiosyncrasy) are working properly, so I know that they did an appropriate job.

Now, the compass display will intermittently appear and disappear in the MFI provided the RNS-315 is turned off. Once it's on, then the compass will show steadily.

Is this the result of incomplete coding at the dealer, upon swapping in the NAVI unit?

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
You are right on target (well... almost). When I bought the car from the VW dealer they could only find one without NAVI - they had to do a dealer swap to get it. Once the vehicle arrived they swapped in a RNS-315 unit and had to recode the cluster appropriately. Note that all NAVI functions (well... except for this compass idiosyncrasy) are working properly, so I know that they did an appropriate job.

Now, the compass display will intermittently appear and disappear in the MFI provided the RNS-315 is turned off. Once it's on, then the compass will show steadily.

Is this the result of incomplete coding at the dealer, upon swapping in the NAVI unit?
Since your car did not come stock with the navi, it has a positional sensor installed. I suspect that the dealership deactivated this module when they installed the navi (no longer require the compass with it installed) but you actually have to unplug the compass or else you get excessive traffic on the CANbus.

On the Golf wagon (JSW) the sensor is in the top of the headliner at the rear, where the back hatch opens. On the Golf 3/5-door I think it's either in the cubby where you access the rear left tail light or else in the same place above the hatch.

I had the same compass problem when I installed my RNS-510, even after deactivating the compass with VCDS. As soon as I unplugged it, all issues disappeared.

Tell you dealership that they need to unplug the compass module, or else go hunting for it yourself. There is a post somewhere here (I think by Don) showing what it looks like, although he only shows the location in the sedan.

AsgorTDI

TDI
That makes a lot of sense. I'll try to locate the compass in the Golf and will unplug it as you suggested.

Thank you!

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
That makes a lot of sense. I'll try to locate the compass in the Golf and will unplug it as you suggested.

Thank you!
Let me know how it goes! I'm sure you an find photos by searching this forum as well as cavorted or golfmk6. I think it's called the "kompass" module.

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
In the 2010 Golf it is above the headliner at the rear of the car. You just need to remove the plastic trim along the top at the back and two small bits on the left and right sides and then gently pull the headliner down to get a hand in there. I removed it completely on mine -- it is held in place by Velcro.

AsgorTDI

TDI
In the 2010 Golf it is above the headliner at the rear of the car. You just need to remove the plastic trim along the top at the back and two small bits on the left and right sides and then gently pull the headliner down to get a hand in there. I removed it completely on mine -- it is held in place by Velcro.
Thank you. Did you also have to make any modification with VAG-COM (or equivalent) after removal?