Compact car crash test

JeffDes4

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Works here, why is it every year cars fail miserably at these tests. Is it that the tests get harder or do auto companies really not care that much?

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Is it that the tests get harder or do auto companies really not care that much?
This is a newer type of test, and one that isn't yet required by the NHTSA.
So it's not like they've been getting shooting for good scores on this test for years.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/minicars-fall-short-for-small-overlap-frontal-protection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bdydHzCO5s&feature=youtu.be&t=1m51s

IIHS_video said:
"Small lightweight vehicles have an inherent safety disadvantage in a crash. Moving up to a larger hybrid model can provide good fuel economy and offer a significant safety boost."
Then in the chart on their press release they show Prius C as poor in this same test they're discussing. Nice.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Yep, new test. Cars were designed to handle the previous suite of tests, then this new one came along. Cars were not designed for it. I'm not sure how relevant it is- How many collisions involve only a quarter of the front end? And how practical is it to design a car to handle such a wreck? Is it worth it?

Just because a new test showed up and existing cars fail it, that does not mean the cars are any less safe than they were. The nature of real wrecks has not changed that much.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Yeah...let's bring the Polo here...run down the road packed with F250s, Suburbans....no thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Yep, new test. Cars were designed to handle the previous suite of tests, then this new one came along. Cars were not designed for it. I'm not sure how relevant it is- How many collisions involve only a quarter of the front end? And how practical is it to design a car to handle such a wreck? Is it worth it?

Just because a new test showed up and existing cars fail it, that does not mean the cars are any less safe than they were. The nature of real wrecks has not changed that much.
I understand that the reason the quarter-front end collision test is used is because it is common, not rare. As far as practicality of building a car that could pass the test, who knows? Doing the test allows a buyer to make an educated choice.

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
Works here, why is it every year cars fail miserably at these tests. Is it that the tests get harder or do auto companies really not care that much?
They keep raising the bar. Now the cars have to pass a test that 99.999% of people will never get in such an unusual accident.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This is what happens:

And the Corolla that hit me.

Although I only had a concussion, it wasn't pleasant. This was at speeds lower than the current test, I believe.

Although I don't put a lot of weight on crash tests, I think this one has some value.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
The test definitely teaches you that if you're going to crash anyway, you are better off steering to straight into whatever it is you're hitting.
That or just drive everywhere in reverse... Demolition Derby style.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Yeah...let's bring the Polo here...run down the road packed with F250s, Suburbans....no thanks.
Meanwhile, one of the Polo's biggest competitors in Europe already is sold here, and is doing pretty well in sales. Even when they park them right next to F250s on the dealer lot.

And I've been known to ride this thing on the street:

Some people have different considerations of risk/reward. And, defensive driving goes a long way.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
No matter where NHTSA sets the speeds for the test, you can always increase the speeds a bit and show cars failing miserably. In addition, no matter what tests are done and where the standards are set, real life will not necessarily play along.

Insurance companies love to moan and grumble and try to blame everyone else while figuring out ways in which they won't have to pay.

You'd think it would be cheaper just to try and be honest and pay what should be paid, but the companies that have tried that are out of business.

So in the end, defensive driving (why can't I buy that T-34 tank??), patience, and just paying attention seem to work best.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. Caveat emptor.

Cheers,

PH

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
The test definitely teaches you that if you're going to crash anyway, you are better off steering to straight into whatever it is you're hitting.
That or just drive everywhere in reverse... Demolition Derby style.
safety/crash tests are really in place to keep auto manufactures pushing the envelope and to educate a "concerned" consumer. I typically look at the saftey ratings as a discriminator if two vehicles I'm interested in are a close comparison. Personally I think most people are over paranoid about crash tests. You can have the safest mid to full sized sedan on the planet and get broadsided by a stoned tractor trailer driver or take a 2x4 through the windshield.

BTW the spark gets a "marginal rating" for its structure and saftey cage.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I take crash test ratings with a grain of salt, but they do sometimes help point out where manufacturers cut corners in ways that aren't visible to most consumers. One I recall was how Honda front seats would collapse in an accident, often causing spinal injuries. Not something you'd find out in a test drive. And there's a roof crush test video out there somewhere that compares a Hyundai with a Tiquan. The Hyundai looks like it's made of cardboard.

JeffDes4

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I take crash test ratings with a grain of salt, but they do sometimes help point out where manufacturers cut corners in ways that aren't visible to most consumers. One I recall was how Honda front seats would collapse in an accident, often causing spinal injuries. Not something you'd find out in a test drive. And there's a roof crush test video out there somewhere that compares a Hyundai with a Tiquan. The Hyundai looks like it's made of cardboard.
If you're going to buy a small compact car, that's when I would care more. Some of the smallers are so cheaply built, like that roof crash test. Once you hit mid size and larger I would not care so much about the ratings, meaning mostly they should be OK from most of the manufacturers.