Coming down to Portland In April and looking for places to go and stuff to do

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey guys,the wife and i are coming down to Portland in April and are spending a long weekend. As it is my first time coming to Portland we could use some help in finding where to go or stuff to do. Any help on finding a good Brew Pub,Restaurant,Nice Scenic Drive,good Market to go to. We know that we will be doing lots of walking or taxis but getting pointed in the right direction is always a better way to go.

Last time my wife was in Portland was 15 years ago so a lot of things have changed . And as Portland is such a Beautiful place we would like to see as much as possible in the 4 days we are there.

Harald

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Get in touch with Rich at Fix'Um Haus and he'll fill you in on what to do/see and where to eat. Plus you can go talk diesel with him and Marcel while the wife does some shopping! ��

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
Looking for great pubs around Portland is dangerously easy so be sure to bring a wheelchair and a designated driver. I don't know anyone who lives in Portland but I've been there many times. I'm not aware of everything the city has to offer but I've had good luck just asking locals for suggestions.

One of my all time favorite pubs is the Rock Creek Tavern. It's northwest of Portland but still close. I've had the best times at this pub. It's out in the middle of nowhere but take the first parking spot you find because you may not find another. I'd suggest giving them a call so they can tell you what's going on with music or events and you can decide if you want to visit when it's crowded or not.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/RockCreek

Cornelius Pass Roadhouse is another interesting McMenamins close enough to the Rock Creek Tavern that you should visit both during the same trip. They have a brewery and distillery. I don't know about tours, but we got a great one just because my friend was bold enough to open the distillery door which was not locked.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/CPR

We've done scenic pub crawl drives going to many McMenamins in one long day. Some of them also have lodging, but I've never stayed at one. The historic properties the McMenamin brothers have renovated into pubs are the most interesting to me. To find those, select "Historic Property" in the "Amenities" section at the bottom of this location map and click on "Filter Locations".

http://www.mcmenamins.com/locations

EDIT: click on the word "Gallery" to see pictures of the pubs in the links posted above.

Last edited:

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Harald check out the Evergreen Aviation museum, the spruce goose is nests there they have a myriad of cool planes and old space memorabilia to check out. The wife and the kid I will be making a trip down there some time in May.Oregon is supposed to have some nice twisty roads to carve as well.
Here is a link to some of the more popular attractions: http://evergreenmuseum.org/the-museum/popular-exhibits/

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
^^Evergreen Aviation Museum is a great place to visit. It's about an hour south of Portland.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks this is what i was looking for Joe nice idea about the Museum . I will probably go there and check it out. Will need to fing some of those twisty roads with good views also

Ed i will contact Rick and drive by to see his shop,we wantewd to go by there last time when he had the GTG but we went up north to see my Parents.

roostre Will check the place out ,just hope it is not too far from where we will be staying

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
when I lived near Seattle, we would take the daughter every year for school clothes shopping/weekend getaway to the factory outlet stores in Woodburn just south of Portland or Troutdale just east.

A little further east is Multnomah falls right alongside I-84. beautiful place to stretch legs.

If you happen to be a Geocacher the entire following started there with the first Geocache.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
If your driving the McMinnville to go to the fight museum, go into town and eat at the Goldendale Pub and brewery. A great porter and ribs.

Sake One in Forest Grove for a sake brewery.

Check out the Food Channel and see where they went in Portland.

Have a great trip.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks jetlagmech the falls sound good will see where they are and might go see it.

Jorry thanks the Sake sound good. Joe already mentioned the Museum and we might go there.

More Input... Thanks guys

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
If you're into books, check out the used bookshops - there are many besides Powell's, and Powell's can consume an entire day...

Bon Voyage!

Yuri

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks Yuri , I am not into books but my wife is..She ca go look for books while I am having a beer next door, as I heard there is a nice Brewery and Restaurant there

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Ground Kontrol is awesome if you are in to pinball / vintage arcade games. Awesome beer selection after 5pm, TONS of great games. Definitely a great spot to check out.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh and I second pine state biscuits! Also check out the Tin Shed, not far away on Alberta.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Stealing these places and adding these to my itinerary. Thanks to the op's when I roadtrip to portland in May going to the airspace museum, playing a crap load of pinball and eating biscuits and gravy till I throw up..

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Sorry glitdi I am afraid that you can't take my threads info on where to go and what to do as Stealing is against the law.

Lmao , Some good stuff has come up Joe and I hope you and your family will have fun too as we sure will and we can't wait for it. Some changes have been made as we will stay 2 days is Portland and the last day in Seattle So Cathie has already got us the room in Portland right where everything is happening.

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I love PDX! I try and get down every few months. Oh and if you need anything from BoraParts you can swing over and pick stuff up in person.

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
Thanks for the plug Ed again . Its been a while since i have posted . Swing in Meangreen . We can chat Tdi's Canada . etc . I am Canadian still to this date . Can't find the Alien Card . Come get me NSA if you can . haha ! Hi to all F/x R

noxneon

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 silver Jetta TDi
Go to the claim jumper, its a restaurant. And when you order something its HUGE !!! like the proportions are totally out of whack on the positive side.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey Rich i got your Addresse now and we might come by on Saturday if you are open, Than we can chat a bit, . Last time i was at Jorry's GTG i sayed i would come by your next GTG and i didn't as the Wife and myself when up north to see my parents. Time to come by say hi and see your shop.

noxneon that Claim Jumper looks like a nice place and we will see if we will drop by there. but hanks for the idea

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Some favorite restaurants:

http://biwarestaurant.com/ is my #1
http://bokebowl.com/
http://www.beastpdx.com/ FANCY AND AMAZING and you'll need a reservation
http://littlebigburger.com/ multiple locations, yummy burgers and great truffle oil fries

Some great neighborhoods to walk around and shop and wander are Hawthorne, division, alberta, and Mississippi. All of them also have good food cart pods so you can explore that too.

If you are feeling boozy, there is also Distillery row in SE pdx, multiple distilleries all very nearby. I think you can get a pedicab tour so you don't need to drive too.

Wine tasting in the valley or in the gorge is a great choice. If you do evergreen air museum, you could combine with some wine tasting.

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
I live in McMinnville and if you come out here to see the aviation muesum there are some great eats and drink out here (not there isn't in Portland). If you come out eat lunch on downtown 3rd street in McMinniville. For Sushi go to Kami, if you want a really great meal (small portions) but everyhtings local and hand made go to Thistle (there bar makes a great margarita, Jem justed opened and it's a Cajun style that's good. For Wine our favorite is R.Stuart Wine Bar. If you need more message me. Have fun and enjoy.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well friends it is Time. Time to drive to Portland and enjoy the city. Thanks for all the suggestions and we will what we will do. We are just blocks from everything and i think we will have fun. Thanks again

Harald

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Well friends it is Time. Time to drive to Portland and enjoy the city. Thanks for all the suggestions and we will what we will do. We are just blocks from everything and i think we will have fun. Thanks again

Harald
Funny, I'm on the Sunshine Coast right now.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
What is really funny is that i live so close to the Sunshine and have never been there.One of these day

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well sorry I did not catch up with Rich or Sarah but there is alwaays a next time. As our Hotel would not honour an extra day for the price we got it for (half price) we desided to stay the extra night in Seattle before we head back.

All I like to say Portland was awsome little rain here and there but that did not get us down. We loved the Pubs , Restaurants, the stores.. Everybody was so nice and friendly . As we did a Pub crauwl we did a lot of walking all over and the car was left tucked away in the garage of the Hotel.

Next time we come down we will do some more sight seeing ..And this time I think we will spread out a bit more and see more of the city, and not just Downtown..We tried to go to Costco but could not find it.Ah well we will go to the one in Seattle..

What is with this Voodo Donuts just of the Sunday Market, there a 20 min lineup outside ? I guess they have all these weird style of donuts one even with Bacon..weird

On the way home we will thake the Chukanut Drive so one last senic drive before we go home.

Thanks again for everyone's imput even thou we did not go to some of them, but waybe Joe will use some on his trip dow here with his family

Oh by the way Yuri that book store is huge

Harald

Last edited: