Code Reset.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Hi Guys,

I need an airbag code reset due to me pulling the trim off and detaching that light on the front of the trim piece.

the dealer is trying to charge me 1/2 half the diganosic fee which irritates the H*** out of me.

I realize it was something I did but it's a simple reset and I told them exactly what happened.

They are claiming it's a safety thing and they need to run a full system check.

Anywho. Anyone in colorado want to help me?

i have never thought about getting the cable/software to do this stuff myself but what does that run again? My problem is I don't currently have a laptop to hook it all up.

worse case I will take it to the dealer I bought it from and have them do it. It's just not convenient.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Hopefully someone near you with VCDS can help you out.

IMHO, sounds like you're playing with fire...safety related item...dealer has to take this very seriously, which will require some time with diagnostics...$$$

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Hopefully someone near you with VCDS can help you out.

IMHO, sounds like you're playing with fire...safety related item...dealer has to take this very seriously, which will require some time with diagnostics...$$$
yeah I hear you on that. It's just frusterating becasue there is no issue other than me forgetting to unplug the battery priot to disconnecting the light.

What does that VCDS stuff run again? is it the cable that's expensive or the software? or both?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
yeah I hear you on that. It's just frusterating becasue there is no issue other than me forgetting to unplug the battery priot to disconnecting the light.

What does that VCDS stuff run again? is it the cable that's expensive or the software? or both?
VCDS costs either $249 or $349 depending on which VW cars you want to work on. If you are only interested in working on your car the $249 MicroCAN cable will work just fine. The software is a free download but the license to use the software in in the interface cable. Buy the cable and all future software updates are free, you just download and install the latest version. Here is info on the MicroCAN interface cable: http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html

The MicroCAN cable only works on 2005.5 and newer VWs.
The KIIUSB cable only works on older VWs.
The HEX+CAN ($349) cables will work on both old and new VWs.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. You can check here and see if there are any VCDS owners near you. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296841

Last edited:

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
VCDS costs either $249 or $349 depending on which VW cars you want to work on. If you are only interested in working on your car the $249 MicroCAN cable will work just fine. The software is a free download but the license to use the software in in the interface cable. Buy the cable and all future software updates are free, you just download and install the latest version. Here is info on the MicroCAN interface cable: http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html

The MicroCAN cable only works on 2005.5 and newer VWs.
The KIIUSB cable only works on older VWs.
The HEX+CAN ($349) cables will work on both old and new VWs.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. You can check here and see if there are any VCDS owners near you. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296841
Yeah I'd only be interested in using it for my car.

how difficult is it to use?

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Torque App

If you have an Android phone you can get the pro version of the Torque App for $4.99. You'll also need an OBD2 blutooth adapter for about $15-$20. The app has a code reset function. I've never used it, but it is there.

Samsung S3

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
You got the airbag warning since you turned the car on with the front seat air at lamp disconnected. Vcds will easily reset the error. No big deal, but that orange warning in the cluster is annoying to say the least. Not sure if an ordinary obd2 code reader can reset the error code.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Once again aNut is the Trusted Mechanic there and not far away. You should keep this filed somewhere just in case. I bet he could help if you don't want to buy the cable.

http://www.dieselland.net/

Met up with Anuthee today. He helped me reset the code and took the time to chat with me for a few minutes. Awesome guy and he will definitely get my business in the future. :cool:

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Darn. I could have reset it too. Oh well. I am not checking the site enough I guess. Steve in Aurora is a great mechanic for the TDI. I have used him forever.