Clutch, shifter performance

MBrown6224

Long story, shortened version. 99 Jetta TDI, 185K. Supervisor takes 16 year old daughter to teach her how to drive stick. Clutch totally smoked, (literally). Mechanic puts in new clutch. Works fine except for one small thing. The engagement point is now just off the floor. No problem as long as you always drive pedal to the floor. Never had to do that before. Don't drive it to floor, gears clash. Complain to mechanic... he says maybe slave cylinder bad,I agree to replace...$300, no improvement. Go back, he thinks master clutch cylinder bad, I agree to replace...$200 clutch is working more smoothly, but engagement point still just off the floor. I am thinking something else is wrong... any ideas?

20ValveT

Veteran Member
A few possibilities here. A. you still have air in the hydraulic system, B. you might have the wrong release bearing or the linkage arm inside the tranny is bent, C. the pressure plate was overtorqued. If I were you I would make absolutely sure that there is no air in the system. If you are 100% sure there is no air in the system and the problem still persists, I'm sorry but the tranny will definitely have to come back off again. I have heard some guys who used remanufactured clutches have experiened similar problems to what your going through. Anyways I hope this helps. Good Luck