Clutch Prices?

ThatTDILife

TDI
2012 JSW 6MT in Plat. Grey Metalic
So I am looking at clutches today (For when that warranty ends and I can go crazy) and I noticed that the South Bend Clutch kit for our cars is $1700... Anyone know why it is this expensive? Also does anyone know id the DKM or Clutch Masters kits are any good and or are able to handle the power from a stage 2 tune? Here is the link I was looking at all the clutches at https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sportwagen-TDI/Drivetrain/Clutch/Clutch_Kit/

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd strongly advise against getting any single mass flywheel clutch arrangement. The 02Q 6mt trans. Just doesn't hold up well to the extra vibration. A stock Luk clutch kit with dmf is like $600, and will hold a stage 2 tune just fine.

ThatTDILife

TDI
2012 JSW 6MT in Plat. Grey Metalic
I have never heard of them, I will look into them when I need to upgrade. But does anyone know why its still so expensive for the South bend? They don't look too different from the ALH clutch kits yet they are triple the price

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Luk and Sachs are the OEM clutch suppliers. If you're just planning a stage 2 tune, the factory clutch is adequate. Can't say why the Southbend clutches are so expensive. Overhead? The main thing is to avoid any single mass kits like the plague.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Southbend doesn't actually manufacture their own pressure plates, they use a rebranded Sachs 707. At least they do for old school 20v inline five engines. So the increase in cost is likely due to whatever they're modifying and repackaging.

As was already pointed out, unless you're going for record setting power levels, stick with OEM. FCP Euro offers an unbeatable lifetime warranty.