Clutch or transmission issue at 80K miles - any thoughts?

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
I am about 20 miles shy of 80k and am having an issue. Last weekend after a 1.5 hour drive I went to downshift from 6th and as soon as I touched the gear shift it slipped out of 6th like it was barely engaged, could feel a little grinding as it slipped out of 6th. Then couldn't get it Into any other gear but 6th. I pumped the clutch a couple times and was eventually able to jam it into first as I was at a stop at this point having coasted to a stop. I made it another 1/4 mile to my destination with difficult shifts each time then shut it down. I was out of car for 30 minutes, and then it operated normally for the next 15 minute drive. It did the same thing the next day after another 1.5 hour drive. Has been ok since on only 10 mile drives to work and back. No change in clutch pedal feel or engagement point. I'm turning it in as soon as the settlement is approved, so really don't want to spend the 800-1500 minimum I figure it will cost to diagnose and fix the issue. Not sure if it is clutch or transmission. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what might be going on? Has me baffled and nervous.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
70 views and no arm chair mechanics want to chip in?

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
Highly doubt it's a transmission issue, that wouldn't go away.
That's what I have kind of been thinking, but 80K seems early for a clutch to be going. Most of these miles have been highway, so not a lot of shifting. I did train my son to drive stick on this car, but you cant smoke the clutch because it kills the engine the second the car begins to bog.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe the flywheel is failing. It may get out of position and cause problems, then go back to where it belongs for a bit. Alternatively, the slave cylinder in the throwout bearing may be on its way out. It's not uncommon for those to fail.

Park it.

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
Maybe the flywheel is failing. It may get out of position and cause problems, then go back to where it belongs for a bit. Alternatively, the slave cylinder in the throwout bearing may be on its way out. It's not uncommon for those to fail.

Park it.
Slave was my first thought.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI

Park it.
Thanks for this - That's what I was afraid of. Luckily I have a line on a new car already.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI

Park it.
Slave was my first thought.
someone on another forum mentioned the synchros, which crossed my mind as well. It was weird the way it slipped out of gear the first time, but I have never heard of synchros going bad before. I never drive with my hand resting on the stick.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The 02Q does seem to have more fragile synchros than the earlier transmissions, but I don't think it's likely to give trouble on a stock car.

If the transmission has to come out I would think it's a minimum of 6 hours of labor. Slave cylinder/throwout bearing is $90, flywheel is $629 from us, probably twice that from the dealer. So your price range is probably about right.

However, if it fails altogether and the car won't move, then you have a problem with the buyback. And you may not be able to turn it in for 4-6 months. Repairing it may be less expensive than having an additional car around for that time period.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
The 02Q does seem to have more fragile synchros than the earlier transmissions, but I don't think it's likely to give trouble on a stock car.

If the transmission has to come out I would think it's a minimum of 6 hours of labor. Slave cylinder/throwout bearing is $90, flywheel is $629 from us, probably twice that from the dealer. So your price range is probably about right.

However, if it fails altogether and the car won't move, then you have a problem with the buyback. And you may not be able to turn it in for 4-6 months. Repairing it may be less expensive than having an additional car around for that time period.
Is it really going to take 4-6 months for them to buy them back? I thought it would be immediately after the settlement is approved in October? Im going to park it at the damn dealership ant let them put up with it!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If the settlement is approved in October and you've applied, you'll get an appointment for the buyback that will be completed within 90 days. So it could be as soon as late October/early November, or as late as sometime in January.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
If the settlement is approved in October and you've applied, you'll get an appointment for the buyback that will be completed within 90 days. So it could be as soon as late October/early November, or as late as sometime in January.
when can we start applying?