Clutch Disc Size. 280mm with a 240mm plate?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Clutch Disc Size. 228mm with a 240mm plate?

Hi All,

I was looking at what clutch to use with my ERF transmission and found that EuroSpec has a setup where a 228mm disc is used with the 240mm pressure plate. :confused:

Since EuroSpec seems to have an aversion to answering emails I sent a note to ECS Tuning, (who is a EuroSpec dealer), asking:

What is the difference between the 2M4 198 CFS 28 RPD Stock weight cast flywheel, dual diaphragm cover, 228mm performance disc and the 2M4 198 CFS 40 SPD Stock weight cast flywheel, stock cover, 240mm performance disc?

Why is the disc smaller on the 28 RPD?

Which cover holds more torque? Dual diaphragm or the stock cover?

and got the following response back:

The 2m4198 cfs 28rpd is a smaller disk, used in the vr6 engine. The disk is also dampened so it will make a little less chatter. Both of these are single mass flywheels. Both covers will hold the same amount of torque.

Not quite answering the question I asked... :(

Does anyone have the technical reasoning why a smaller disc would be beneficial, (or not as the case may be)?

Last edited:

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
Non Vag :(
wouldn't the clamping load of the pressure plate therefore be placed on less surface area? = more grip?

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
The larger 240mm pressure plate/cover and 240mm clutch disc will hold more than the 228mm combo........didn't know you could use a smaller 228mm clutch/disc with the larger cover ? but why!! if ultimatley the larger setup gives higher torque clamping.....or maybe i'm missing something here :eek:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
mojogoes said:
The larger 240mm pressure plate/cover and 240mm clutch disc will hold more than the 228mm combo........didn't know you could use a smaller 228mm clutch/disc with the larger cover ? but why!! if ultimatley the larger setup gives higher torque clamping.....or maybe i'm missing something here :eek:
Depends on the µ of the friction material..

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
I still like this clutch very much, farfromoving has one too. i've sold 3 more of them and no problems w/big power. I am impressed with the attention to detail in design and fit. very little chatter. only problem was missing timing mark on mine, but this was easy to add. pd also has mark on balancer. btw, I always double check the mark on all flywheels I install ;-)

jeff

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2251606&postcount=21

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
jsrmonster said:
I still like this clutch very much, farfromoving has one too. i've sold 3 more of them and no problems w/big power. I am impressed with the attention to detail in design and fit. very little chatter. only problem was missing timing mark on mine, but this was easy to add. pd also has mark on balancer. btw, I always double check the mark on all flywheels I install ;-)

jeff

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2251606&postcount=21
Is that the dual diaphram cover?