Cluster resets on cold starts

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
I think I may need a new battery. On really cold mornings, the vehicle will crank slow but lights off fairly quickly. The glow plugs seem to be functioning, but the battery does not seem to be able to handle all tasks.

The vehicle is kept in an unheated garage, so temps are probably in the teens or twentys. It is becoming a pain to reset the clock in the morning and try to remember the trip odometer.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
So how old is your battery?

Most auto part stores, tyre stores etc will check a batter for free. They generally do a good and honest check, so why not your local store check it for your.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Don't let it go too long. Too many cluster resets like that will kill the cluster.

I've had decent luck with Oreilley's battery for the Passat. Here's a recent thread. On my '06, I've gone back to VW, OEM branded.

Tony

Luskavarna

TDI
MkIII AHU, mk1 NA/IDI the-iron-muel
Yea, test alternator output and battery, replace the bad component before it damages other things.
I know of a 1996 passat that the instrument resets every time he lets the glow plugs cycle but does not wait for the light to turn off and then he starts the engine. but if he cycles the glow plugs until the light turns off it does not reset his cluster. SOUNDS weird, right? I don't get it. it is just the way he keeps the cluster from resetting. Maybe this works.
Your problem seems battery related however.

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
I think the battery is 2 years old. Got it from Autozone.

I'll have them test it tomorrow.