Cluster Question?

jwm9289

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI
2001 NB TDI Five Speed

Cluster problem, odometer & Tripometer both work fine. Warning Lights work Fine. Fuel Gauge Low Light Works.

The Speedometer, Tachometer & fuel gauge are not working.
(stuck on 120mph, 4000 rpm's & Empty.)

Question: No codes in Vag-Com, will bad cluster trigger a code? Could this be a grounding problem? (If so, were is the ground for cluster?)

Any help would be appreciated!

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
Is this with the key on or off or both?

Last edited:

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
That's really odd. If you have access to a VAG COM (which it sounds like you do), I know that there is a program for the cluster that will move the needles to make sure that they are alligned properly (Jeff Robertson recently did this on my cluster). Run that program. It might "reset" your cluster's speedo and tach, or at least give you a better idea of what's worng.

-Daniel

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Yep, there is a test function via vagcom. It moves the needles and turns on the lamps, and a few other things.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Yep, that's the one. Just got my Ross Tech VAG COM cable this past Saturday, and I can't believe all the uses.

jwm9289

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI
i hooked up vagcom, no fault codes for cluster. i tried to do the out put test for instruments and it would not do it. it kept coming up error.

jwm9289

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI
i got the output test to work for the cluster. the lights came on, chims and busser worked but gauges never moved?

Bad cluster or wiring? no codes