Cluster build date question

BeachBum87

TDI
'01 2.0
Hey, looking at this sticker from a MKIV Bora cluster, are the numbers "260301" the build date? I guess this would me March 26, 2001 with the time next to it? I just need some confirmation so I can figure out whether I need the T20a or T32a connector for the FIS screen. TIA :)

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Uhhhhhh... that cluster does not have an FIS screen in it....

It looks like it is a standard, simple IMMO2 cluster. No MFA or FIS.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
If you're retrofitting a FIS cluster in place of this one, the existing T32 and T32A connectors plug into the cluster. The T20a connector for pre-02 MY clusters is for data from radio or navi to be displayed on the top section.

The cluster shown above is for a US petrol (not a diesel) engine car, automatic transmission, and as stated does not the information display.

BeachBum87

TDI
'01 2.0
Sorry, I should have clarified a little more. I have a gasser MKIV. The faces were added later. You're right though, looking at the part number, one would think it didn't have the FIS screen. Could it be a 'hybrid' cluster? Here are some other pictures of the cluster:

You can see the T20a connection in the center back

^^ You can see the data pins where the T20a connector goes

Last edited:

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
Well, it's a hybrid cluster in that someone used the plastic housing from another cluster. The data on that sticker has nothing to do with the circuit board in your cluster.

--Chris

BeachBum87

TDI
'01 2.0
Thanks Chris, MOgolf, and onehotspud for your input :)

Chris, couldn't we determine whether it's an IMMO-II cluster by just looking at the T20a connector on the back? From what someone else told me, the T20a red plug is used up to april of 2001 and T32a green is from may 2001 and on (cluster build dates; I'm assuming the IMMO-III cluster didn't have the T20a connection on the back since they did away with it). If this is the case and it is an IMMO-II, I'm in luck because then I can use the 3LB cable and get the arrows to show up from my MFD navi without the need of a TMC box.

Now my only question is whether I can use a MFD-G with this setup or if I specifically need a MFD-D since it uses 3LB. I haven't figured this out on my own yet because I'm in Europe until the end of the month. I will be picking up the T20a connector and cable when I'm in Germany in a few days.

EDIT: One more thing, are the screens / appearance of the icons, ect. any different on the IMMO-II FIS compared to the IMMO-III FIS?

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes it is an I-II cluster with that T20a. I-IIIs sent the data via CAN bus.

I have an I-II FIS cluster in my Golf. I do have the radio display on the top portion. It was a straight wiring from the radio to the T20a. I can't tell you about navi interface. You could search through the cluster and navi upgrade threads for the information.