Climatronic

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
graeme86 said:
I would check some things first!:eek:

It is designed for a six speed gearbox setup so check whether the five speed gear weight might hit the bottom of the airbox first.

The Audi TT 3.2 DSG has the same airbox setup with the bigger inlet too, by the way.
Then in THAT case *I'm* off to my local VW dealer now.. :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't have a counterweight on my gearbox. DG ultra.

I didn't get there today, maybe tomorrow, after the front end alignment on the Passat and a run to Cape Cod for Bio.

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
tamorgen said:
Did mine! Thanks to Nihilator for all his help in getting this mamoth project complete!
Glad I could be of assistance.

Re-reading this thread, I'm inclined to look into the solar-powered fan feature that european Passats have...if it's as simple as some wiring behind the Climatronic head unit, I think it would be an awesome mod to have.

--Chris

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Chris, I dont know if you have have access to a place to plug your car in during the winter or not, but if you do you could rig up something webasto esque with your car.

Just imagine walking out and jumping into your nice already warm car every morning.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Damnit you guys are going to make me take my whole car apart again! I know a guy who will sell me the climatronic heater box for probably $50... and probably not much more for the control head...

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
david_594 said:
Chris, I dont know if you have have access to a place to plug your car in during the winter or not, but if you do you could rig up something webasto esque with your car.

Just imagine walking out and jumping into your nice already warm car every morning.
That would certainly be nice, but the Jetta's not my DD. And it's in a garage, anyway.

I would want the solar cooling option more for the gee-whiz factor, and because I bet there are a good number of people here and on the 'tex that would like to have that option, too.

You can get that option in a new Prius, by the way, as part of the Solar Roof option package. It only costs $1,800 more than the Navigation alone, which you have to have in order to get the Solar Roof. And you have to pay $1,800 for Navi. And you have to pay $4,000 to get to the Prius IV base, so that you can have Navi and Solar Roof. Ha!

--Chris

tamorgen

Veteran Member
Did my second one this weekend. Knocked probably a full day off of the first install. Thanks to Chris (Nihilator) for making the harness available and answering our questions.

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
tamorgen said:
Did my second one this weekend. Knocked probably a full day off of the first install. Thanks to Chris (Nihilator) for making the harness available and answering our questions.
And removing the airbag. :)

Congratulations to you and Alex. We should make commemorative T-shirts.

--Chris

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Random update that no one will care about..... but the climatronic is designed to work with the webasto/stanheizen(whatever its called) parking heater.

On the back of the climatronic head unit you have 4 connectors. Facing the back of the climatronic HU the connector on the left is a 16 pin connector with larger pins than the rest. For wiring up the webasto you will need to add a wire to pin 1 of those connector. This wire will provide power to the HU so it can run when the car is off. It powers the HU and the servo motors. The other end of this wire will get wired to the signal wire going to the fan relay in the climatronic harness.

The rest of the wiring is the same as for the manual AC vehicles. You simply need to find fuse 25, cut it and splice in the 2 wires going to the relay. This is the fuse for the climate control blower power and normally receives its power from 75x(swithched power). When the webaso isnt running the relay just allows power to pass through that circuit. When it is runing it provides power to the blower motor via the fuse with the webasto harness which gets wired to the battery. If you splice the 2 wires in backwards then the blower fan wont come on while the webasto is running..... (thats what I get for not reading directions).

When the heater is turned on and the car is off the control panel will be on and will show "HE" in place of the outside temperate. Saddly thats all it does. It doesnt automatically set the unit to defrost or up the temp or anything like that. I just keeps the settings it had when the car was shut off.

If you power the car on while the webasto it will change back to the normal mode and display the outside temp.
Thanks for this. I'm researching the thought of installing a gas Webasto Thermo Top C into my Eurovan...

My wife, after being spoiled by my B4V with a Webasto decided she can't stand the thought of a New England winter without one, you know with all the scraping and glove wearing and all... It's not really about warming up slow or not it's about going to your car and not having to ever scrape unless there's a lot of snow. Also saves a lot of hassle with the kids too. I'm hoping the fancy Climatronic in the Eurovan has a similar pin.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Its a really nice combination.

In hindsight it does seem like when it turns the climatronic on via the webasto that it actually turns the blower speed down a bit. So if you left it on max, it would run at a lower setting when the webasto kicks in.

So I just make a conscious effort when I leave the car to turn the heat up on max and make sure I set the defroster on.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
I installed a Climatronic in my mk5 Jetta. And I also consider installing a Webasto, especially that I got a bonus with my 4motion (to be retrofitted soon) fuel tank: a fuel pump for Webasto is already there :).

0xFF

TDI
AVF
[...]
On the back of the climatronic head unit you have 4 connectors. Facing the back of the climatronic HU the connector on the left is a 16 pin connector with larger pins than the rest. For wiring up the webasto you will need to add a wire to pin 1 of those connector. This wire will provide power to the HU so it can run when the car is off. It powers the HU and the servo motors. The other end of this wire will get wired to the signal wire going to the fan relay in the climatronic harness.
[...]
Hello,
I just installed Webasto ThermoTop C in my TDI Passat 3BG (2003).
The only problem left to solve is wiring to climatronic head unit.
I can't find suitable pin for 16pin connector. Can you give me proper VW part number for that connector?
There is a lot of connectors pics: http://www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/stecker4.htm, but Im not sure which is suitable for climatronic connector with larger pins.
Best regards.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
Hello,
I just installed Webasto ThermoTop C in my TDI Passat 3BG (2003).
The only problem left to solve is wiring to climatronic head unit.
I can't find suitable pin for 16pin connector. Can you give me proper VW part number for that connector?
This may be too late for you, but I have a climatronic sitting right here. The p/n on the connector is 443 972 806 which slides into 443 972 807. I don't know if you have to buy both or if they come as a single unit.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
He was looking got pn for the repair wire. 000 979 133 or 000 979 131 are the two most likely possibilities, but it has been years since I've had to order repair wires.

The proper way to solve this would be to look up the connector in etka via its pn, and then see what repair wires are listed for it.

0xFF

TDI
AVF
Hi,
I took wire with proper pin from broken harness for climatronic panel.
One friendly passat's owner sent me it for free ;-)

Best regards.

0xFF

TDI
AVF
Hi,
I took wire with proper pin from broken harness for climatronic panel.
One friendly passat's owner sent me it for free ;-)

Best regards.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I'm stuck :/

I've got everything stripped down, but I can't seem to find the screws for the airbox. It's not clear to me which side of the firewall they're on, anyone know?

If it's on the engine side, I assume I have to remove the heat shield? How much of the engine am I gonna have to tear apart to get that done?

If it's from the interior of the car how am I supposed to get a wrench in there? I can't even get my fingers in there to find the screws.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
If it's on the engine side, I assume I have to remove the heat shield? How much of the engine am I gonna have to tear apart to get that done?
If it's from the interior of the car how am I supposed to get a wrench in there? I can't even get my fingers in there to find the screws.
Its from the engine side. There are actually small flaps that have been pre-ct in the heat shielding. You will need to pry them up with a screw driver from what I remember. My gut feeling is there are 2 on the passenger side of the box, and one pretty much center on the car.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
Its from the engine side. There are actually small flaps that have been pre-ct in the heat shielding. You will need to pry them up with a screw driver from what I remember. My gut feeling is there are 2 on the passenger side of the box, and one pretty much center on the car.
Thanks, David. With your hint of removing the flaps I figured it out.

It seems there are two in the center and one on the passenger side.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
Correction: there are 4 total, two on each side. The passenger side has fiberglass insulation, too. :/

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
After much trying and figuring and guessing and swearing I got it all out and back in again. I had to call a friend to come help, there's no way to get it out and back into place without 4 arms, 3 hands and at least one knee to help hold things into place.

A tip for the next guy who's gonna try this: the heater core coolant hoses have these elbow pieces between the heater core and the hoses from the cooling system. The heater core can be removed from the box with those attached (guess how I know) but they're easy to detach by using a flat blade screwdriver to remove the clips. Simply slide the screwdriver in below the pipes from the heater core and twist to release the clips. The elbows pull straight off.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, everything is in and I seem to have a working climatronic. I can even drive around again and turn the heat on if I want, and everything seems to work mostly OK (which is good, because I started a new job today and needed to be able to drive in.) However, there's a couple big problems I need to solve and I think they're related.

I still have two wires I need to connect up. Pin 2 and pin 9 from the 12 pin connector on the climatronic are supposed to run out to pins 8 and 12 on the 14 pin radiator fan control unit. However, when I pull apart the 14 pin connector that sits next to the fender well I have no wires at all in pin 14, and in pin 8 it seems that a wire runs to that pin from inside the car and then stops. There is no pin 8 on the male side of the connector. So I connected T12/2 to the wire in T14/8 that was previously disconnected, but I'm not sure that was a good idea now. This also leaves me with one dangling wire coming from T12/9 that I know needs to connect to something.

After I've turned the key to on, the right radiator fan turns on at full speed and will not turn off until I disconnect the battery. I can reconnect the battery and the fan will stay off until I turn the key on again. I suspect that this problem is a symptom of the previous paragraph.

Have I gone wrong somewhere, or did VW change up the wiring for some reason?

Last edited:

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
OK, everything is in and I seem to have a working climatronic. Still a couple problems to solve, and this next one is sorta a doozy.

According to the directions I have, and it seems like the bentley wiring diagrams agree with the directions, I'm supposed to run two cables out to the radiator fan control unit, which is apparently the 14 pin connector that sits next to the fender well under the battery box. However, when I crack that connector open pin 14 has no wires at all attached. Pin 8 has a wire running to from the interior of the car but no wire coming out from there.

Have I gone wrong somewhere, or did VW change up the wiring for some reason?
Make sure that you are at the plug directly under the battery next to the the other plug(heavy gauge wires) plugged right in to the fan control module, not the plug that is sort of in front of the battery that's a diferent plug.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
After much trying and figuring and guessing and swearing I got it all out and back in again. I had to call a friend to come help, there's no way to get it out and back into place without 4 arms, 3 hands and at least one knee to help hold things into place.
Weak! I did this solo, as did david_594, SVTWEB and others. Less complaining more CLIMATRONIC!

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
Make sure that you are at the plug directly under the battery next to the the other plug(heavy gauge wires) plugged right in to the fan control module, not the plug that is sort of in front of the battery that's a diferent plug.
Thanks for the hint.

Every time I think I've figured out every place to hide wires on these cars VW goes and finds a new place to hide them. You're right, I was looking at the wrong 14 pin connector. As soon as I popped my belly pan off and looked up from the bottom I facepalmed.

I think everything in the climatronic is happy at this point. All I have to do now is take the dash back off so I can get back to the wires in the plenum and reconnect the wires that are disconnected. I mistakenly thought the climatronic replaced the wires in the orange connector, when they're just supposed to be spliced in. My fault for not reading the various threads closely enough.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Thanks for the hint.
Every time I think I've figured out every place to hide wires on these cars VW goes and finds a new place to hide them. You're right, I was looking at the wrong 14 pin connector. As soon as I popped my belly pan off and looked up from the bottom I facepalmed.
I think everything in the climatronic is happy at this point. All I have to do now is take the dash back off so I can get back to the wires in the plenum and reconnect the wires that are disconnected. I mistakenly thought the climatronic replaced the wires in the orange connector, when they're just supposed to be spliced in. My fault for not reading the various threads closely enough.
those empty spots on that plug in front of the battery are for the Oil Pan Sensor, is wired up from the cluster to that plug, and from there to the oil pan you have to run your on wires, but thats an other project lol:D

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
those empty spots on that plug in front of the battery are for the Oil Pan Sensor, is wired up from the cluster to that plug, and from there to the oil pan you have to run your on wires, but thats an other project lol:D
Don't remind me of the other projects I want to wire up, I already have enough I'm doing! :D

jdias

TDI
Seat Leon 1M
If anyone is considering it. Here is pretty much all the wiring info you could need:

http://www.itsafish.com/climatronic.xls

does someone got this file and can chare it again please?
this time its me.
i'm about to do a complete oem install of electric windows on my seat leon 1m 1900tdi from year 2000 and all the pieces will come from a seat leon cupra r from year 2003.
So, the first big problem is that i have 1J0 connections and the donor car has 1C0.
Therefore, i will do a complete install.
I will use the complete interior harnesses that connect windows modules, cluster, ccm, climatronic etc.
Does anyone know if there isnt a problem in this?
as my car is petrol and the donor a gas one.
If you could provide the xls file it would be nice.