click-click-click: turn signal relay?

pgoes

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat wagon, 2004.5, Stonehenge gray
The click-click-click from my turn signal continues in random fashion for a minute or more after a turn. It comes from somewhere in the center console behind the radio. Can someone direct me to the source?
The turn signal/stalk works fine, and there are no burned-out bulbs. Thanks!

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
It can still be the turn signal stalk failing. I had that happen on my 03 Jetta, where the random clicking behind the center console was the symptom. The grease in the mechanism in the stalk can get overloaded with work copper bits and start randomly conducting current...

pgoes

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat wagon, 2004.5, Stonehenge gray
The video and pics are a great help-thanks! I'll try some air first and check the contacts.

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
05' Passat GLS 95' Merc E300D
I had this problem too. I just sprayed some quick drying, no residue, electronic contact cleaner into the stalk switch area and then worked the switch up and down. This stopped the extra clicking. The switch was a little stiffer the first few days after the cleaning.

edtxw01

TDI
Passat SE TDI (130BHP)
I had this problem with my 2005 Passat 1.9 TDI, the garage changed the relay but that didn't fix it. After months of frustration I found this: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=65695

It says the same as the comments above, so I cleaned the switch using WD40 (sprayed into the switch while moving it up and down).

Problem fixed.

I wish I had found this earlier.