Clear bra paint protection films, yes or no?

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Thinking of putting an Xpel clear paint protection on my car, I drive 90 miles round trip to work everyday and looking to protect the front bumper and hood.

Its expensive, $800 for front bumper, 18" of hood and front fender, and mirrors.

Can you comment with your experience with clear bra?

Any advises is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
wouldn't bother with the bumper. We did the front hood, edges of the fenders and mirror caps. It's held up well over the 5 years, but the car will never be as pretty.

I've used hood bras and hood deflectors over the years. I prefered the bra - the hood deflector seemed to direct more rocks to above the windsheild which resulted in chips up there.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Thanks yatzee, all the info I found was pretty old, so was wondering if its still cost effective to install it.

lil'oilburner

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
I've never seriously considered it because I wonder about how the paint will do underneath. The paint is stripped of all wax and a film of plastic is glued to it... The paint will not get chipped but doesn't it need to be polished and waxed to removed oxidized, UV damaged, yellowed layers of the clearcoat? This is why I've stayed away from clear bras.

Got chips, use touch-up paint. Because unless you wrap the car, it'll get chipped regardless.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
I got it on my 4 door. For $700 I got hood, bumper, fenders, headlights, fog lights, mirrors, door handle cups, door edges, and top of rear bumper. I highly recommend it. It has saved my paint more than once. The reviews that I read about xpel were very good and I'm not worried about paint color difference when I take it off in 5 years. Not sure about "a film of plastic is glued to it". My research found that it is not glued to the car. I'm getting it done on my new Ford Explorer this week.

scottcane

TDI
Passat & Touareg
I have had the "clear bra" done on 4 vehicles. I do the hood, headlights, front bumper, top of rear bumper if applicable, under the door handles, and the door sills (where feet drag and scratch the paint). I definitely use it on my front bumper as there are tons of bugs that get plastered.

No more yellowing or hazing of headlights. Protects against most rock chips. Protects against bug splatter.

You wax it like you do your paint. I use a McGuire wax product (black bottle-forget the name) which leaves NO white residue. If you use typical wax, it leaves a white residue at the seems of the clear bra.

Good stuff and protects. No more buffing of my headlights. Lifetime warranty. $700 sounds high, maybe check around.

Be careful, the stuff will scratch. Do not use a scrubbing pad on the clear bra as it will scratch. Use a sponge and wax.

Last edited:

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Thanks a lot Scottcane, the guy that will be doing it is supposed to be the best in the area and it seems that Xpel is the way to go.

mdroid86

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S, 2012 Jetta TDI Premium (sold)
i was going to get it done when i bought the car, but at the time it was too new, and the place did not have the file to cut it out on their printer. i drive 110 miles a day, mostly highway and my car has several chips, including one deep large one from a work zone. at this point, if it really gets bad, i figure i will just vinyl wrap the car! i also have to remember, its just a car, i bought it to drive it, and no matter how hard i try, its not going to stay perfect forever!

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
i was going to get it done when i bought the car, but at the time it was too new, and the place did not have the file to cut it out on their printer. i drive 110 miles a day, mostly highway and my car has several chips, including one deep large one from a work zone. at this point, if it really gets bad, i figure i will just vinyl wrap the car! i also have to remember, its just a car, i bought it to drive it, and no matter how hard i try, its not going to stay perfect forever!
Went through almost this same thought process with mine. The car has character now!

buddha

TDI
2016 gsw tdi (future)
I'd probably use a physical black mask if I used anything. Then just take it off when I went to sell the car.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I had an uncle who liked to suggest that as soon as you get that new car home, you should take a ball peen hammer and go give it the first ding and get it over with.

( I never did this, but try to not get too worked up over then when they happen)

lil'oilburner

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
I had an uncle who liked to suggest that as soon as you get that new car home, you should take a ball peen hammer and go give it the first ding and get it over with.

( I never did this, but try to not get too worked up over then when they happen)
Interesting. In many eastern cultures they put a black mark or tie a black strip of cloth to a newborn for example to ward off an envious or evil eye. Since you mentioned this, I remember not touching up a small bumper scrape that cut through the paint to ward off further damage. That car survived virtually unscathed for 8 years. Superstitions...

On a black car, suggest sanding down the clearcoat on the bumper to a dull spot:D

TDIBlake

TDI
15 Sportwagen, 03 Jetta
My vote is no. The bra ruins the paint in my opinion. I've taken them off before and you can always see a line left.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I'd rather have a little line that matches up to the next clear bra that's installed than a bunch of rock chips.

mdroid86

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S, 2012 Jetta TDI Premium (sold)

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
go with eds, a little less expensive and by far the best investment i have made in my car...had bad luck with helix in the past. sorry for hijacking, had to put my 2 cents in.
I agree, as soon as I find someone that will help with installation I will buy Ed's :)