CJAA Motor Leak - Front of Engine?

lmdrivelines

TDI
2.0 CJAA
Hi TDI Club

Hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction here. I've got a 2011 Golf with a CJAA Motor. Its got a little oil drip from the FRONT of the engine. It used to be about 1-2 drops every month but I'm noticing 1-2 drops every couple days now. Has anyone had an issue like this before? Where should I be looking? Intake Manifold Gasket? EGR valve gaskets? Curious if anyone has had any issues like mine. Will try to take some pictures tomorrow.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I'm chasing the same thing right now - Based on the amount of filth built up, it is the oil filter housing / oil cooler gasket / housing-to-block gasket. My problem is figuring out how to disassemble the dang thing to GET to the filter housing. I've gotten the EGR and elbow stuff out of the way, but the bracket under the flapper module and the hoses around the filter.... driving me nuts. And that's just the bigger items in the way. They did NOT design this engine bay to be worked in.

lmdrivelines

TDI
2.0 CJAA
I'm chasing the same thing right now - Based on the amount of filth built up, it is the oil filter housing / oil cooler gasket / housing-to-block gasket. My problem is figuring out how to disassemble the dang thing to GET to the filter housing. I've gotten the EGR and elbow stuff out of the way, but the bracket under the flapper module and the hoses around the filter.... driving me nuts. And that's just the bigger items in the way. They did NOT design this engine bay to be worked in.

So here's what I've figured so far:

I believe my turbo is having blow by, it seems when run highway km's with my car the turbo puts out excessive oil to the EGR valve. The EGR valve seems to have a leak at one of the gaskets. I'm emailing my local VW dealership to see if I an get replacement gaskets to help stop the leak. In the spring I'm going to see if I can get a used or reman turbo. One of my mechanic friends even suggested just getting a turbo rebuild kit (CR140). He said something about getting new bushings and seals for the turbo, if it hasn't contacted the walls just rebuild it and it should stop the oil blowby.

I've attached a picture of the EGR valve, if your motor is a CJAA you could probably show this to your local dealer to see if they can identify the parts for you. (If that is your leak).

and this video shows how to get the egr valve off...

Hope this helps. Will post updates here.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
EGR valve isn't so much of an issue.... I hit a pothole a while back, and all that stuff just fell right off. I also don't have a warranty anymore and avoid stealerships like they have plague. I've had this one now for over 50k miles, so there's no reason to talk to a stealership ever again about it.

I've gotten a nice chrome tube (actually a MKV part) off of Fleabay that will be going back on when the reassembly happens, but thanks for the pics, that's definitely the area I'm working on. Thing is, there's no buildup of oil on any of the intake tubing, ONLY on the oil filter housing and the engine behind it. So I'm thinking that's where the oil leak has to be. If it was only on the filter housing at the top, I'd say it was a bad cap ring (I admit to not usually changing that when I do an oil change...) But it's also on the engine and below. Quite a lot and the engine HAS been losing the oil over time. Before I fully pull things apart, I might clean everything and then run the engine for a while and see if anything gets wet again to really nail it down.