Chirping at idle and low Rpms.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Sorry to bump but I have the same issue.

Took off the serp belt, noise remained indicating it had to be timing belt related. It’s at the dealer now and they want to do the Phase 2 recall as I just tipped over 40k miles and I have the DSG.

Hopefully they cover the timing belt related cold start up noise as my vehicle has such low mileage, and it was sold to the first owner in 2017 after emissions fix was performed by VW according to the carfax. Made an account to share my story. Thanks everyone.

2/13 Edit

Car is in my possession, Phase 2A&B completed.
They were not able to reproduce the noise.
I strongly believe the noise is coming from under the timing belt cover so I may have to try another dealer.

3/12 Edit

Car is back at the dealer again and they are formally going to diagnose the issue. The squeak is usually on cold starts in the morning and it sounds like this.
, this video was mentioned on the first page of this thread

Also found threads on other forums about this issue and it isn't just a tdi thing.

Last edited:

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Another post for this significant finding.

Dealer techs under advisement from VW Tech line ran fuel pressure tests and found the fuel injector pump to be under performing. Result: fuel pump likely failing and will be replaced under warranty. When vehicle is in my possession again I will report if the cold start squeak returns. Either way, I am impressed they found something important like this and are addressing it before it grenades the entire fuel system. Vehicle has been meticulously maintained.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Yes, I think so too. Will see if noise returns when I have the vehicle back.

Edit: yep, noise is remaining. It seems the paperwork indicates they replaced the lift pump in the tank and not the Bosch CP4 unit under the hood. Diag on their end indicated lift pump was providing 4.2 bar, under the 4.6 bar spec. Replaced w/ new lift pump and tested at 4.8 bar.

Last edited:

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Ok sorry to bump again. From what you all have contributed it is abundantly clear this noise is coming from the timing belt tensioner. If I take the car back to the dealer this will be the 3rd time back for the issue. I do not know if it is a communication issue, a VW issue, or a dealer tech knowledge issue or what but they probably think I'm crazy. If anyone in TX has had this issue and had a dealer resolve it or at least give them the time of day please sound off or PM. Thanks so much everyone.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Ok sorry to bump again. From what you all have contributed it is abundantly clear this noise is coming from the timing belt tensioner. If I take the car back to the dealer this will be the 3rd time back for the issue. I do not know if it is a communication issue, a VW issue, or a dealer tech knowledge issue or what but they probably think I'm crazy. If anyone in TX has had this issue and had a dealer resolve it or at least give them the time of day please sound off or PM. Thanks so much everyone.
Show them the tread, the video and hope they have a shred of common sense. If not common sense, maybe they'd love to stop wasting their shop time and even your time NOT fixing the actual issue. Obviously you aren't crazy, making it up or trying to be a pain but if they watch the content here and decide not to fix, well that would be CRAZY (but you never know).

Good luck!

Dfwvet

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Hello, hey I’m having same issues! Live in Dallas and my vw dealer claims the noise is non issue and just replace at recommended interval. I thought that was odd and called another Dallas vw dealer and the advisor also stated the same and said they see very few tensioner failures ... what do you think ? Also , would the TDI fix warranty cover that , maybe long block warranty?

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Hello, hey I’m having same issues! Live in Dallas and my vw dealer claims the noise is non issue and just replace at recommended interval. I thought that was odd and called another Dallas vw dealer and the advisor also stated the same and said they see very few tensioner failures ... what do you think ? Also , would the TDI fix warranty cover that , maybe long block warranty?
As far as I can conclude it should be under warranty. It falls under abnormal wear and in my case 40k miles is 1/3rd of the timing belt interval change time. One of the bearings inside the tensioner must be running dry or something. I have to worry about that little part locking up and ruining my engine. Really not to cool. Abroad in England they have this issue with the transporters and I think on some level there were recalls or service bulletins(?) issued. If the dealers saw this issue more often they might know how to deal with it. I might phone the last service advisor I spoke to and Ask again about the issue. Otherwise its waiting until 100k and just doing the TB service then or eventually the noise will get so bad it will never go away even when the engine is warm and they definitely will have to replace it then... No denying or “cant reproduce issue”. I’m still on the original 5yr/60k mi powertrain warranty and before that goes this would be the best time to clear it up with VW. As far as under the 162k diesel gate warranty, who knows at this point could be a 50/50. I will keep updating the thread if I have any news re: my car and this issue.

Dfwvet

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
My service advisor did state the warranty would cover , but at failure ! Not noise !! Sounds odd ?

Dfwvet

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
My service advisor did state the warranty would cover , but at failure ! Not noise !! Sounds odd ?
Vw dealer now wants me to bring it in , they have an idea to “fix” under TDI warranty!! It’s a miracle !! Lol I simply told them I was going to call VW customer care and they specifically asked me not to !! Hopefully going to get this fixed

Dfwvet

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I managed to get a new timing belt and AC out of the situation.... it really depends on your insistence ( respectfully of course) and the service dept your working with . Are they willing to push the limits of the TDI warranty is the ticket ... VW keeps a tight watch on TDI warranty work .

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Dropped the car off two weeks ago for the issue again and they provided a Tiguan as loaner. Apparently two QTMs are on the case. Haven’t heard back yet. Hopefully they didn’t wrap the car around a pole or something.

Update: They got approval to do a whole TB job, I paid for a water pump and 2.3 hrs labor which comes out to ~$620 peace of mind.

Last edited: