Chip tuning my vw golf mk4 1.9l tdi 4motion

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk4 1.9L 4motion 115hp AJM
Hey fine people! Hope everyones weekend is going well with no oil leaks. Anyway after having my car for nearly 6 months in working order except a snapped glow plug, which isn't leaking compression šŸ„“

I would like to give my car a little boost of some sort, and i keep ending up with getting a chip tune, i have been doing alot of reading in these past few months about peoples builds, and i keep seeing the same stuff about getting the most bang for your buck with no hardware upgrades like bigger turbo, bigger injectors bigger fuel injector pumps and meth injection and so on.

My Question is, i know a friend of mine, his dad owns a quite reputable shop here in Norway (one of the biggest car repair shops) And they have recently started with chip tuning. So they can do it for me a tiny bit cheaper than any other chip tuner place here in norway. But the question i have is how do i actually know that the chip tune works? so if i go into any chip tuning calculator they all give the same number going from 115hp to 152hp, why is it like that? that all shops give out the same numbers, is it like a program they all have that some smart guy made and some tuner made a profile for per say my car so it runs at those specs?

And if i were to get a tune, i wondered what i should be cautious about, like do i need to change my engine oil/haldex fluid & filter more often? So on.

amgff1984

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Getting a tune shouldn't effect and of your maintenance requirements, unless if you are beating on your car more. The best chip I have seen is the KermaTDI which allows for you to keep all of the emissions stuff. There is also race chip brand from Germany, but that is a tuner box and only really changes some sensor inputs/outputs to trick the computer.

Kerma tune works well, Malone might have one too. Some require you to remove a lot of the emissions stuff which is obviously super illegal here in the states now.

Racechip works too, but not nearly what they claim so it's probably not worth the money.

The reason there is a range of HP is to allow for a lot of different variables. Varaibles might include temperature, altitude, conditions of the engine, quality go fuel, existing engine mods.

Hey on a sidenote, are the Warlocks making any new music? (Norwegian Hip-Hop group popular in the late 90's to early 2000's). They were supposed to release new music here in the states back in 2015 and I haven't heard anything. I'm only assuming you know who the Warlocks are... Link below, might have to copy and paste.

Last edited:

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk4 1.9L 4motion 115hp AJM
Getting a tune shouldn't effect and of your maintenance requirements, unless if you are beating on your car more. The best chip I have seen is the KermaTDI which allows for you to keep all of the emissions stuff. There is also race chip brand from Germany, but that is a tuner box and only really changes some sensor inputs/outputs to trick the computer.

Kerma tune works well, Malone might have one too. Some require you to remove a lot of the emissions stuff which is obviously super illegal here in the states now.

Racechip works too, but not nearly what they claim so it's probably not worth the money.

The reason there is a range of HP is to allow for a lot of different variables. Varaibles might include temperature, altitude, conditions of the engine, quality go fuel, existing engine mods.

Hey on a sidenote, are the Warlocks making any new music? (Norwegian Hip-Hop group popular in the late 90's to early 2000's). They were supposed to release new music here in the states back in 2015 and I haven't heard anything. I'm only assuming you know who the Warlocks are... Link below, might have to copy and paste.

Thanks for the response, i will look into those tuning options, and about warlocks, tommy tee left the group after the 2000 and started making music on his own, by the looks of it he left because be enjoyed it more being solo, don't think they will be back anytime soon to be fair, his last song was a norwegian rap about 'music isn't important' back in 2013 and then some vol.2 track from a OG song that people liked but they didn't like the 2. volume. Sorry for the bad news šŸ˜¢

amgff1984

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Thanks for the response, i will look into those tuning options, and about warlocks, tommy tee left the group after the 2000 and started making music on his own, by the looks of it he left because be enjoyed it more being solo, don't think they will be back anytime soon to be fair, his last song was a norwegian rap about 'music isn't important' back in 2013 and then some vol.2 track from a OG song that people liked but they didn't like the 2. volume. Sorry for the bad news šŸ˜¢
That's too bad. TP Allstars made one of my favorite collaborations while I was still in HS, and the funny thing of it was that it was me and only a handful of other classmates that were into it, or maybe knew about it. I forgot to mention that I actually use the RaceChip brand chip, and it is super high quality, something to be expected from German manufacturing. I can tell that it does add power, but it's debatable whether it's a lot. I will say it feels better with than without it. Here is my thinking though, and I'm up in the air on it still, but, I was thinking about doing just the DSG tune and keeping the RaceChip. Again, I'm up in the air on it because I need to do something with my exhaust soon too. I cut off my muffler but I don't like how the one pipe looks so I might buy something aftermarket.

Vham1of7

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Still new to the ability to enhance my TDI. Not much of a mechanic, just an old man attempting to save some money. Found an ad for Effuel a chip that is suppose to improve economy on gas engines. Looked it up, found also one for diesel, but also found it is a scam. So with my old brain more active I realized the TDI club would know about this stuff! So rom what I have read here I need to look for Kerma TDI for my Jetta Sport Wagon. Am open to any other info. Thanks