graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
You could invert the display yourself. I've done it on a calculator. You just need to take it apart and take out a polarizing filter and put it back rotated 180 degrees (or is it flipped over?)... I can't remember exactly (I did it 20 years ago in school) but this sort of explains it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display

Last edited:

hedgehog

TDI
Jetta 2.0
In Taiwan, some models come with a DVD player w/ BT and etc...
It is made by a Taiwan manufacture.

You can see it from the photo.

In fact, I know there are other brand available on the market.
It price is around USD$600.

As for the one that came with my Jetta (compare with VW Stereo)...
The sound quality is poor
It has some bugs (upgrade firmware a few times)
Of cousre, it have more function then VW ORM CD player...

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
DPM said:
Yes , they are sold in Australia too....but they are that stupid Mk V odd shape so won't fit a Mk IV dash.:(

That factory Multimedia Station is the shiz:D If you do a search under RNS+JP3 you get the Mk V version of it (with that odd shaped surround:rolleyes: ) but you can see the cool features it has.

Unfortunately the Japanese one is completely useless anywhere outside Japan- wrong radio frequencies, wrong DVD zone, no maps etc:(

eXtenZy

TDI
2001 Passat TDI
Any idea how to make the inverted cluster readouts on our cars? I've read the article on wikipedia and the conversion would be simple enought, BUT seeing this image :

you can see that the LCD's are difficult to take out, and then comes the other part of actually getting other polarizers to make the inverted display.

Any ideas?:confused: This would be a great mod.:rolleyes:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
eXtenZy said:
you can see that the LCD's are difficult to take out, and then comes the other part of actually getting other polarizers to make the inverted display.

Any ideas?:confused: This would be a great mod.:rolleyes:
You don't have to get new polarizers. I have done this mod on a calculator and all I did is flip it over or spin it around (can't remember which). I know it works and I didn't buy anything. I was bored in math class...

The piece that you have to flip over should be right beneath the layer of glass on the LCD display. Remove glass, flip next piece, replace glass...

You could experiment with an old calculator (or anything with LCD display) to find out whether you flip it or rotate it...

eXtenZy

TDI
2001 Passat TDI
From what I've read on wikipedia the polarizer has to be rotated as one polarizer is vertical and the other is horizontal and to have the display like in the China Passat you need the polarizers to pe paralel so both horizontal or vertical. At least that is what I got from the article, I'll try it out on a calculator.
If we have to rotate the polarizers then we need new polarizers because of the shape of the LCD (if it was square ther wouldn't have been a problem).

eXtenZy

TDI
2001 Passat TDI
That looks VERY good, but I wonder if it wouldn't have looked better with blue lighting to match the IC scale, it wouldn't need any modification as the backlighting is already blue....might be an idea.

The link with the instructions is dead :(.

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD
I've done this modification, if you take you time you can peel the polarized film from the LCD. I managed to get polarised film from a damaged Audi cluster. Film finish is different from a Golf one and used that. Swapped the blue leds for red. Blue doesn't look right. I wanted it to match the FIS display.

TDI4motion

TDI
TDI