Chilliwack BC to Las Vegas

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Hi Woody

Woody86 said:
So I'm going down to Vegas in October and now that I've got me a TDI I'm thinking about making the drive.

Any insight on a good route?

Google says: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Chilliwack,+BC&daddr=Las+Vegas,+NV,+USA&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=82.492451,92.988281&ie=UTF8&z=5

But someone suggested taking the I5 straight down is quicker despite the extra 200km?
My wife and I are doing the same in November to celebrate our 40th. We are torn as to take advantage of cheap airfare/hotel packages and renting a car or taking an extra week driving down the coastal route for the scenery and heading east from LA. Coming to the next GTG?
Frank

loneviking

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat wagon
If it were me, and the little car was reliable, I'd stick with the google map. I despise California traffic and smog and the road from Barstow to Vegas is often a traffic jam with lots of wrecks.

The only downside to the Google route is it's taking you down the loneliest road in America. There's not much out there and in most stretches the ground is so poor a Jackrabbit would have to pack his lunch. The route has some really nice scenery until Elko and the Ruby Mountains, but from there to Vegas....well, there's a reason it's called a desert!