Cheap Fix for Expensive Job - Exhaust

Jeff_Duncan

Veteran Member
I don't know what kind of engineer would design an exhaust sytem in two pieces, including the cat converter. The result is that you end up replacing the cat converter when anything else goes wrong on that section.

That's exactly what happened when the weld at the cat and pipe rusted out on our 2002 Jetta. Since the cat isn't removable, you are forced to buy the entire pipe from exhaust manifold to just about 3/4 the way down the car, including the cat converter. That one pipe costs about $800. Rediculous. There wasn't anything wrong with the catalyst.

Here was my easy fix. I have a MIG welder which allowed me to do the job myself, but any shop should be able to do this.

Here is the link to the slide show of the work. This cost me about 12 bucks for a piece of pipe and two clamps. It's as good as new.

http://photos.fishoutercape.com/gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=JettaExhaust

Jeff_Duncan

Veteran Member
Good question. The original setup had sleeve clamps to join the front pipe with the back pipe and muffler. I had to cut those off of course but I saved the sleeve. The sleeve is required because VW decided to join two pipes of the exact same diameter together. Another stupid design.

If you welded these two peices together off the car, you would never be able to get them back under the car and over the frame cross members- too long, lift or not (I didn't have one so it certainly would be impossible). Also, it's near impossible to weld a pipe joint when the pipe is on the car. The welding gun just can't get the top of the pipe under the floor. Finally, it's better to have two parts than one. When the muffler goes, I pull the clamps off and don't need to unbolt the front pipe from the manifold.

Last edited:

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Most of my coworkers that have cat problems just get an aftermarket cat, oem vw cats are usually junk (as in failing emissions).