Changed Fuel Filter today.. quick question

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Hey all... got a 2009 jetta tdi and changed out the fuel filter today.

However when I went to put the new fuel filter on I relized that I hadn't paid close enough attention to the old one before I took it out.

so I have 3 questions

1) The filter looked the same on both ends so I take it there is no real top or bottom? I have the wide-mouth one. I put the side with the part number on top just because but thought I'd double check.

2) both ends of the filter have 2 little cutout grooves in them opposite each other. I guess I assumed that they went over something so you would know when you had it orientated correctly..... however I didn't see anything down in the can that would suggest these little tabs actually needed to line up to anything? So the filter can go on in any position?

3) I didn't notice how flush the filter was to the top of the middle tube in the can. So I just pressed the filter down until it stopped which was roughly 1/8" - 1/4" past the top of that middle tube. It's not like a crushed it or anything so I'm guessing that you can't push the filter down too far?

Car is back together and pump primed with no issues.. no leaks so hopefully I did it right :)

Last edited: