Champagne performance on a beer budget

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
What?

The total resistance of the pot is 1.5k, yes. But when you turn the knob down and lower it to 470 ohms, it's no longer 1.5k its 470. 470 is too low.

MnM

TDI
TDI 110
Sure thats why i would use the resistor at max only once in a milion times. I only remember using it two times, and one was by mistake.
Even so i know some guys who drive with the resistor only.. but im not crazy, thats creating a hell alot of tension on the pump. They are driving for 3 years with it and its all fine.. i guess it may be luck also.

Anyways, my limit point is a bit before the engine starts shrudding, when it starts i turn it a bit down and leave it. The power you gain its pretty good and that is not creating an override on the pump for sure!

My question is, following this safety points my injection time got altered somehow.. and on the oposite side of the serpentine i realy thing evry mod was the one doing this.. again i can be totaly wrong cause im the only one complaining of this in all this pages :(

MnM

TDI
TDI 110
Hum let me try to be more clear.. can evry mod modify your fuel injection pump timings in a certain way that you have to adjust it electronically with vag.com and mechanically on the pump even when evry mod is disconnected?

I dont know if this is understandable now..
You know that the pump has a timming right.. now it can get out of place by advancing or reducing.. what im asking is if evry mod can make it get out of the right timmings..

als2

TDI
Audi 80 TDi

Hi guys, just wanted to firstly say what a great site and some seriously helpful folk!

Now for a little question, having read all the previous about this little mod, ive cooked up a lil box to help my tdi a bit. Used a 680Ohm and 1.5kOhm pot so minimum is 680 just incase but planning on using it nearer the 900 mark.

Just wanted to know if anybody had used it on an Audi 80 Tdi 90bhp?
And also if it should be the same 2 and 3 pin for hook up??

many thanks guys!

pics: http://cid-c9f63aaa73fcb1c0.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/DSC%5E_00073.jpg

AL

1994 Audi 80 S2 Avant
1993 Audi 80 TDi Saloon

slow-moe

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
There are two different injection pumps for Audi 80. If you have the new style pump then it will work.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
MnM said:
...can evry mod modify your fuel injection pump timings in a certain way that you have to adjust it electronically with vag.com and mechanically on the pump even when evry mod is disconnected?

I dont know if this is understandable now..
You know that the pump has a timming right.. now it can get out of place by advancing or reducing.. what im asking is if evry mod can make it get out of the right timmings..
It could. I would not rule out the possibility. Indeed I would expect that the timing WOULD change as more fuel is being requested and delivered, but at the same rate, through the injector. I expect that the injection period would have to start sooner and would end later with the Evry in operation, than would be the case without the Evry.
But I do not believe the timing change would be enough to require mechanically rotating the pump to compensate. Rotating the pump to set injection timing to close to the mid point, and then using VagCom to make the final fine adjustment is preferred to using VagCom to compensate for a pump not set to near mid point.

The serpentine belt has nothing to do with this though. The serpentine belt drives the alternator and other accessories, not the fuel pump. Any electronic changes you made to the pump control would have no effect on the serpentine belt.

Last edited:

MnM

TDI
TDI 110
Lug_Nut said:
I expect that the injection period would have to start sooner and would end later with the Evry in operation, than would be the case without the Evry.
Hum, thats what i tought too! :)

I decided to ask the question because in the end it makes all sense that it happens to someone else like it did to me. Evry also modifies the injection period and the car would assume it even with evry off.. the more you use it the more it gets out of point.

In this case is better to give out a warning that it does this, because this may be a downside of this mod.. and seriously having the injection period messed up is not a good thing if you want to drive normaly.

Lug_Nut

TDI
That's why very few use much less resistance in the shunt than 800 ohms.
470 ohms, without knowing just how low the variable one can be turned, is too low.
Please tell me the variable potentiometer is in series with the 470, and not in parallel.:eek:

MnM

TDI
TDI 110
Lug_Nut said:
That's why very few use much less resistance in the shunt than 800 ohms.
470 ohms, without knowing just how low the variable one can be turned, is too low.
Please tell me the variable potentiometer is in series with the 470, and not in parallel.:eek:
ofc it is in series with the resistance i couldnt use it other way.. ;)
I have my circuit close to my pump, i cant modify the overall resistance even if i wanted! The only thing i have inside my car is an on/off switch.

And my overall resistance its allways the same (multimeter tested), its arround ~1k ohm.. as you can see its not that low. My engine doesnt even shakes saying "enough" fuel, so i have it under a very safe margin of safety if you can say it exists using this type of mods. :rolleyes:

Still having all of this precautions didnt stop the mess up of injection period. My advice is dont use this mod that much or you may have some kind of problem like i had.

Meanwhile i sold my evry mod for safety reasons.. i will rather save some money and do a proper remap or something.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
The evry doesn't affect timing significantly at all, .5-1 degree at the most and that's only because the same fueling is being achieved with less throttle position.. I run more advance and more fueling with RC5 than the evry can possibly provide, and my IP and Serpentine belt are just fine, even with the frequent blips off the 5800rpm gasser sounding rev-limiter..

TDI
Seat Leon TDi SE
Im attempting to do this mod now. I could only get hold of a 1K pot will this be okay? Also, when you say "bridge pins 2 and 3" what EXACTLY do you do?

Do you put one end of the Pot on pin 2, and the other on Pin 3 and still connect them back up?

Im doing this on an 2003 Seat Leon TDI, its basicly a Golf. The engine code is ASV ( i think its the same as ALH?)

Any help much appreciated :)

PS. I have gone though this page trying to find a picture of how other people have installed this mod because I like the idea of being able to be removed and installed very quickly, so does anybody have a picture of theres? Thanks

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
If you are just going to do it with 1k, don't waste the extra money on a pot. If you are going to vary it in and find your 'q' zone. I suggest a 2k.

I made mine without a pot, I just used a 2 cent carbon film resistor.

TDI
Seat Leon TDi SE
Do you have a picture of how it installs?
Im in the garage now looking at the car, ive unplugged the 10 pin harness, but now im confused on how im meant to bridge the pins?

sorry for sounding retarded, i just dont want to break it lol

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
It's okay. I don't have a picture of it installed. I actually made a box out of mine.

You need to find pin 2 & 3. They are labled, just really small. Bridging means connect the resistor across 2 & 3. You need to get some wire and scotch lock it onto wires 2 & 3. Then connector your resistor between them.

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
BRIGHT, .......you are over thinking it,...........

bear a spot on each wire, Don't cut them cause you car will not start if the connection fails, .....and attach one end of the resistor to one wire and the other end to the other wire, ..........make it water proof, ie liquid electrical tape, or regular tape, ........and ......BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE...........

your done, ....fire it up, ....if you have it connected all the time, you might get a CEL, ......I have mine on a switched pot, and if i turn it on before starting the car i get a CEL, ....not sure of the number right now???

TDI
Seat Leon TDi SE
Ok cool, im gonna try this again today, gonna get some scotch locks, but i can only get hold of either a 1K pot or a 4K7 Pot. Will the 4k7 adjust far enough down? or does it mean from &k to 4K is its range?

Also the Pots I have have a 3rd leg i pressume to ground them, do i need to ground it or just ignore it?

Thanks for the help guys.. Im sorry i sound so dumb but as someone said, im probably over thinking this. Lol

Last edited:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
No such thing as a 4k7 pot. Don't worry about that. Grab a 1.5k or a 2k pot.

The last, or first peg can be ignored. Just used the middle and another one. You only want two wires on it. Not end to end.

TDI
Seat Leon TDi SE
Ok. So i think ive connected everything up in the right place, but I'm not convinced that its working? I was expecting a lot of smoke but there dosnt seem to be any difference.
The car has already been remapped, has a drilled and smoothed airbox and a mufflerectomy.

What do you mean by the engine shivers? because i thought i found it, like the engine revs seem to drop momentarily then back to normal?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
brightsideteeem said:
Ok cool, im gonna try this again today, gonna get some scotch locks, but i can only get hold of either a 1K pot or a 4K7 Pot. Will the 4k7 adjust far enough down? or does it mean from &k to 4K is its range?
Also the Pots I have have a 3rd leg i pressume to ground them, do i need to ground it or just ignore it?
Thanks for the help guys.. Im sorry i sound so dumb but as someone said, im probably over thinking this. Lol
If you put 2 1k resistors in parallel then your resistance will be .5 k then put 4 resistors in parallel and you will have .25k, put the .5k in series with the .25k and you can have .75k. With enough 1k resistors you can have almost any resistance.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Just a quick update:
I had my 1995 (not 2005:rolleyes: ) AHU Cabrio dyno tested today. Three pulls: stock, Evry, stock.
Pull #1 stock in red
Pull #2 with 900 ohm Evry in pink
Pull #3 stock in green

If you can't see the shades of color on your screen, rest assured that the Evry run is the one nearly 20% higher than stock runs.

Best $5 I spent!

diesel obsessed

TDI
1999 tdi beetle
I'm interested in doing the evry mod to my 99 tdi beetle but I cant find the diagram on how to do it.Could some one please post a diagram off the instructions on how to wire it up! Thanks.

F2 Ed

Veteran Member
TDI
SEAT Leon 110
Well i finally did it on my 1z (8pin)

Holy crap lol!! Its alot better than a tuning box thats for sure. I cranked the resistance down till the revs went funny at idle then took it for a spin...

clutch slip in 4th gear lol

Now i have turned it to a comfortable level and im very happy :)

Kristopher

TDI
99.5 Jetta
Kristopher said:
Any possibility the evry mod can set the ECU into throwing a Coolant Temp warning light on a cold start? We've lived with the CEL and flashing piggy tail when the mod is active but the wife fired up the car around freezing temps on a cold start and got a coolant light right away. It went out shortly thereafter and the reservoir is properly filled. Hasn't come on again.

I'm aware the mod plays with the fuel temp. Just wondering if the ECU checks some logic and freaks out.

If yes, I'll have to replace the resistor and diodes with a pot and diodes.
bump.

Any relation from Fuel Temp lookups to Coolant Temp warning lights?