Central Locking

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate
I recently got this problem with the pump running on after unlocking the car. It doesn't run on after locking the car.

Functionally, all the locks are working, except the hatch button will not push in while the pump is running.

This prompted me to suspect the hatch mechanism, but I can't find anything wrong with it, no obvious leaks.

I did the VW procedure testing voltage/resistance at the pump plug, says replace pump! Surely not!

Anyone been there before?

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate
It seems to be mended today. May be an intermittent fault.

zeumer

TDI
1995, 1998
well, the pump sucks in one mode and blows in the other but i forget which is which. i'm guessing when it sucks, it seals the leak and when it blows, it forces open the leak. i've had trouble at the door lock mechanism with the plastic coupling that holds the air line fracturing. the line pulls itself into the broken coupling when sucking and pushes itself away from the coupling when blowing. i don't know if there is a coupling like that at the trunk. also if you have an air line leading into the trunk, it often cracks at the trunk hinge which can be intermittant depending on how the line flexes when you close the lid.

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate
Ok, thanks zeumer. I am pleased to say the fault has gone away, at least for the time being. I tinkered with the hatch door mechanism, it needed adjustment to the connecting rod. That didn't fix it though, but next day it was fixed, something must have reset, I presume. That coupling you mention, is it the one that fits on to the pneumatic mechanism? I checked out the hinge area, but that seemed alright.

zeumer

TDI
1995, 1998
yes, the coupling is the piece on the latch mechanism where the air line plugs in. i seem to remember you squeeze the coupling to remove the air line.