CCV DOA: melted/broken CCV -- ever seen this?

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Well, here's a fun little experience. While doing an oil change on my girlfriend's 2003 Jetta TDI, I noticed a large amount of black residue around the CCV valve. It's hard to see in this picture, because I wiped some of it up before the shot was snapped. The darker, streaked areas were originally covered with an almost powdery black residue.

Decided to take a look to see if it had come loose. Well, yes and no. The bottom part was still connected, but the top had entirely separated:

I believe my exact words at this point where "What the ****?" Apparently it melted or otherwise came apart at the join between the cap and the part that fits over the crank case outlet. Those rough edges are partly covered in residue, but still look melted. I know there's a new CCV in the near future, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Any suggestions as to how I can get the piece of of CCV valve off the outlet? It's hard to get a grip on it, and I don't want to risk any bits falling off into the crank case.

2. How big of an issue is it to drive this around for a while until the new CCV valve comes in?

Thanks for any help or advice.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
That is bizzarre. Did this car have an overheating event? I'd plug the hole with a wine cork and reef on that plastic with pliars, then remove the residue with steel wool. Don't leave the plug in!

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Dang, I wonder if mine is busted like that too. Always a little oil slobber around CCV. Probably not melted, just crappy plastic like the dipstick tubes??

Probably little harm in driving til you can get a replacement. There will be some unfiltered air going into turbo and engine, so no driving though dust storms.

You may need to lift cam cover to get remnant out. Or try to get it out, and be prepared to lift cam cover if you can't get it out without chunks going in.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I bet someone broke it previously and tried gluing it back together, I take it you bought the car second hand?

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I bet someone broke it previously and tried gluing it back together, I take it you bought the car second hand?
I bought it from Heritage Motors in Topeka, Kansas. The title report showed two previous owners: one in Arizona, one in Kansas.

Here's what I know from Heritage: after the switch inside the driver's side door that opens the fuel door came loose, they glued it back in place rather than fixing/replacing the part. Now, it works fine, and in that limited case I didn't mind a quick hack rather than a long wait for parts. Here's my thought: how far do they stretch the "glued == fixed" equation? Does it extend under the hood, for instance?

I had CoolAirVW give this car a good looking-over the first time I brought it to him for work, but this is the sort of thing no one would think to check. I mean, who thinks, "I wonder if someone broke the CCV valve and assumed it would be OK to just glue it back together and hope no one noticed?" :confused:

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
That is bizzarre. Did this car have an overheating event?
Not that I'm aware of. She's a little more of a speed demon than I am, but I don't think she's hammered it that hard. :)

Seriously, though, coolant temps have been steady and well within norms all the time I've had it, and on through her ownership.

I'd plug the hole with a wine cork and reef on that plastic with pliars, then remove the residue with steel wool. Don't leave the plug in!
I'll try that. And I'll try to remember not to leave it plugged. :eek:

Dang, I wonder if mine is busted like that too. Always a little oil slobber around CCV. Probably not melted, just crappy plastic like the dipstick tubes??
Worth checking, evidently.

Probably little harm in driving til you can get a replacement. There will be some unfiltered air going into turbo and engine, so no driving though dust storms.
Well, this is Dust Bowl territory, but we did finally get some rain this past week, so we should be OK on that front for the amount of time it takes the new CCV to get here. :D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I bought it from Heritage Motors in Topeka, Kansas. The title report showed two previous owners: one in Arizona, one in Kansas.

Here's what I know from Heritage: after the switch inside the driver's side door that opens the fuel door came loose, they glued it back in place rather than fixing/replacing the part. Now, it works fine, and in that limited case I didn't mind a quick hack rather than a long wait for parts. Here's my thought: how far do they stretch the "glued == fixed" equation? Does it extend under the hood, for instance?

I had CoolAirVW give this car a good looking-over the first time I brought it to him for work, but this is the sort of thing no one would think to check. I mean, who thinks, "I wonder if someone broke the CCV valve and assumed it would be OK to just glue it back together and hope no one noticed?" :confused:

I bet someone leaned to hard on it while doing something else, I've never seen or heard of a heat proof ccv melting lol, the valve cover would have to be on fire and even then I reckon it would struggle to melt.

Besides it seems that place likes glue :D

CarpeDiem

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Pull the valve cover off remove the plastic insert and element in there and then you make sure nothing falls in. Just have a look at the Timing belt R&R How To and all the info will be in there. IMHO that's what I would do

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
While doing my intake R and R for cleaning I constantly had to stop myself from using the puck as a place to put my hand to support me...I could see how it got broke off.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Kicked around the idea of hooking up a Mann Provent system like the one in my 2001 Jetta (which came to me via Snadam, who had it from Sootman before him). Decided against it, since the 2003 has a stock turbo and isn't evidently blowing out a lot of oil residue.

Ordered a replacement CCV cap from Bora Parts, and should have it on by Monday, like as not. Then all will be well. :cool:

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Monday's a holiday, nothing get's delivered then - with luck though you'll have it Saturday :)
Cheers!
-BB

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Finally got the chance to take care of this today, with my girlfriend photographing, as per usual:

There's the prize-winning glue-job ready to come off. Seriously, do not know who would think something like that would hold up.

Yep . . . real pro at work on that one.

Checking to see if the yahoo glued the broken piece of the CCV valve to the housing. Apparently not, thankfully. The housing rotated without dragging glue shreds. Also, carefully peeled away any bits that looked like they could fall in.

Very carefully opened a spot with a flat-head screwdriver and grasped with the needle-nosed pliers. Then gently pulled and twisted until the piece came free.

And there it is. I may borrow those pliers again if I find out which mechanic glued that **** thing together. Just sayin'.

Y'know, I appreciate a creative solution to a problem, but I despise a sloppy attempt to pretend a problem doesn't exist. This is definitely the latter.

New CCV valve in place. Blood pressure returning to normal at this point.

Securing clamp. That's not an optical illusion. My hands are actually ridiculously huge. Makes working under the hood extra fun.

Now all is well, and all manner of things are well, as they say. Thanks again, Aaron, for the fast shipping. USPS mangled the box, but the padding protected the CCV valve, so no problems there.

Girlfriend cranked the Jetta up, no runs, no leaks, no errors. Went to the coffee shop to celebrate with caffeine, as is the way of our people.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The rubber groumet for the ccv on my ALH was leaking so I replaced it new a new Genuine VW part. It lasted 1 month and tore apart.

I just bought 4 more groumets. I hope they last longer than a month. The original one lasted 180,000 miles.