Cat filter

mantree

TDI
03 jetta
So I have been convinced to go to a 2 micron cat filter at my next change but I had a question about the thermal t. I know that alot of older cummins just cap off the return line and feed the return from the ip back into the primary filter 2nd inlet to heat the fuel coming in. Has anyone set up there filter setup like this or would I be better off bypassing the thermo t and taking it straight back to the tank return? I would also be running a water seporator pre primary filter.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I have the Cat 2-micron filters on three TDIs in the family. No thermo-Ts and am happy not to have them. They're frequently a source of air leaks into the fuel line. Any bypassing the filter is best, in my opinion. I would rather have a TDI that won't start in my own driveway due to gelled fuel, than to have it start and run for a few miles before the thermo-T opens up and lets cold gelled fuel in, stranding me on the highway.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
So I got my second VW TDI jetta about 9 yrs ago, and it had 89,000 miles and already had the CAT fuel filter installed.

Today, July 30, 2023, with the old filter going on more than 9 years and over 63,000 miles, I changed it and placed new CAT filter.
The old one didnt feel clogged, as I was getting plenty of power, but just thought that it was about time. LOL.

I dont have a reciprocating saw or else I would cut it open to see . HMMM>.. maybe I should go borrow one.