Caster alignment

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
How much can it be corrected by shifting the subframe ?
Are the bolt holes on the subframe slightly slotted or all the shift is taken by the rear bushings ?

My left is at 7.3 and right at 6.7

I installed the TT bushings in the LCAs few yrs ago and wonder if the smaller diameter bolts used on them caused the difference in the caster

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If the bolts are centered, there shouldn't be any change in the caster.

Does your car pull? Is the handling "off" in any way?

at .6deg cross caster, I would expect a pull, probably to the right given your readings.

If it were my MK4, I would start by trying to adjust the caster at the two lower ball joints - loosening off the three bolts on each side, and shifting the left wheel rearward, and the right wheel forward. If that does not bring it into spec, then I would try shifting the subframe (rotating it counter-clockwise as viewed from the top of the car)

I would think you would be able to get at least .5deg by moving the frame around easy.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Steering is lighter than normal , no pull

Camber is slightly negative but still within normal values as is toe too

To me it appears that the right side ( 6.7) needs to be tilted forward , if I am correct

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF

The right would need to be tilted rearward, if your goal is to make caster even on both sides.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Will pull the subframe tonight and replace the mounts , maybe I will find something amiss

Local alignment shop refuses the touch the subframe

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Will pull the subframe tonight and replace the mounts , maybe I will find something amiss

Local alignment shop refuses the touch the subframe
Silly. When I was doing alignments, I adjusted subframes (shifted them) all the time. Sometimes it's the only way to get the angles in line. The only issue is working on older cars, what if a bolt snaps or strips - the customer will blame you unless you talk to them about the risks (of moveing the subframe) up front.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Yep , everything today is a quick buck scheme

These kinds of cheap alignment is misleading and false advertising
I had a talk with the manager but of course I just wasted my breath and my time

Last edited: