Carolina GTG - Agenda?

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
Planning to attend the 12/15 & 12/16 GTG, and am wondering if there has been an agenda established for the weekend? Being close to Christmas, can I attend most of the events by arriving Saturday morning and leaving Sunday mid-day? Haven't made the reservations (yet) at the Ramada, and wonder if we only need an overnight rather than a Friday AND Saturday stay? We are only 90 minutes away.
"Will work for friends"
Thanks'
Jim and Merna

------------------
"growler"/silver NB 5spd

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
First on the agenda is to select a G2G activities director.

Friday gather at the Ramada off exit 143 Alamance Road exit. We will have a suite for those who arrive before check in times and for those who are not rooming it at the Ramada. Social time, Bring some beverages. Wet bar in the suite. Turbo Steve is bringing the Amsoil Christmas goodies that you order from him. I presume he will make one large order and have it shipped down here ahead of time, so contact him early to get that order in. Post on his thread if you like ... and make sure you get him the money so he doesn't have to front the cash for you.

Friday supper on our own, there is a restaurant at the Ramada, Nick's is within walking distance for those who have had a beer or two. Other restaurants are close at hand. Social time Friday.

Saturday Breakfast included with the room at the Ramada. Followed by AutoX at the oval circuit to be set up with Omar's help. We can have a BBQ type of meal at the track, or pizza is pretty close.

Saturday evening meal TBD (to be determined) probably a room at a restaurant with each couple/person responsible for their own order.

Saturday evening social time.

Sunday Breakfast at the Ramada ... again included with the room. We can do a ride around Alamance County back roads, or just hang out since people will be driving home that afternoon.

That's a loose arrangement. Any requests please post.

BIGJOHNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (Black) mine; 2011 Golf (UGM) hers
Will there be any time for a mod-fest? I am very interested in doing some screen removals, maybe some tuning box removal demos (I'm still not sure that mine is hooked up correctly), and various other "small" mods. Anyone up for people helping people (and being the luckiest people in the world).

John

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
I'm sure we're going to have social time ... read, talk about cars, do stuff on cars, drink a beer, talk more about cars, do more stuff on cars, get another beer. You get the idea.

I'm going to have a 10 mm socket handy for the screen removal.

Think we can also have a hack saw and file handy for anyone who wants to do an air intake modification.

Someone please bring a cordless drill to be used for air intake mods, thanks.

Valois has a nice set of crimpers that get connections real tight.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Saturday the agenda is to be at the track mid day. Directions will be at the Ramada Desk. Also, directions are located in at www.acespeedway.com Choose maps from the top menu bar.

Peter, go for the ramps. I also bought a set to have here. Good excuse, huh?

Sign me up for a single twist. Got the loctite?

[This message has been edited by Driv'n EZ (edited December 13, 2000).]

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
With a prediction of rain for Saturday and the track informed me today that we would have to have fire suits and helmets to run, it looks like we will rent a garage for Saturday afternoon to spend some time and chat and work on cars two at a time.

Pray for good Car-ma

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
John emailed me and I can't get this through to his address. It spit back at me. So John, I hope you find this ...

Meet up at the Ramada which is off exit 143 of Interstate 40/85. We will be there until about 10:00 am or so. The track people informed me today that they require helmets and fire suits to drive the track. After
emailing several folks I am unable to come up with fire suits. Also, they are calling for rain on Saturday.

I've begun to contact several garages where we could rent space for 5 or 6 hours while we mess with our cars and kick back.

When I find a garage that will go with the program, I'll leave directions at the Ramada Inn front desk.

Thanks, David

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
The Carolina GTG began yesterday evening as Peter V arrived with a box of Christmas Goodies that he picked up from Bob King in Wilmington. He used his well earned winning certificate from the TDI Fest this summer. Just so happened that I was on my way to the Ramada Inn and Peter was on the interstate right in front of me. Soot, em' man.

Randy and his lovely wife Zena arrived from Atlanta, sent up by Chao. Give our regards to Gary Miyakawa.

VeeDub brought up his yellow beetle with passenger friend, Amanda. BREAK from college. Special thanks to VeeDub for all the help in communicating.

Tom arrived in good shape, having taken a half day off from work. He beat the traffic out of Washington and made record good mileage, as always, with his good looking Passat.

Garret caught up with Valois and Kim as he followed them from Charlotte through the back up of traffic. Seems like there was a blockade of vehicles in front of them going rather normal speed, and they stopped for something to eat. Afterward they left at normal TDI cruising speed
and caught up with the peleton. Met everybody at Nick's Greek restaurant next to the Ramada.

Turbo Steve came in safely about 10:30 with his bag full of Amsoil goodies. Some of the other Amsoil dealers have been hastling him for selling this stuff so cheap. Get a life guys, Steve does this for therapy ... he's been rear ended three times and walks with a cane. This is part of his journey toward physical function.

Ladies gathered around to talk about important things while we guys hung out at the "bar" in the common room suite. Talked about the new air filter systems available through Rene and all kinds of good stuff for cars.

Today is Mod Fest at a garage in town. Can't run the track in the rain. We'll have a good time for sure.

Pics will follow. Just haven't down loaded them from the computer yet.

Jim and Merna, we miss you.

------------------
Driv'n EZ (David) & Mz. Sue
"Magic Dragon" is a 2K Silver/Black Jetta GLS Lux CD UpSolute Software & TB, Descreened, PCV snorkel, Ram Air Intake, Red Enamel Calipers, confirmed member of the Epsilonian Empire

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
whata we miss, huh whata we miss? I wanted to see Omar setting FTD on the autoX course. I wanted to see Rene install new air intakes. I wanted to see Grandpa Dave and Grandma Sue lighting up the grey day with their beaming faces. I wanted to see Turbo Steve playing "santa amzoil" with his super fluids. I wanted to see GarrettP and Mom, and here him explain why it is so dead at 4am. Who ARE those people that never sleep? I wanted to meet VeeDub and see the fastest poster on the forum.
Hell, I just wanted to BE THERE.
Hope you are all having fun. I am warm and dry and BORED. (the swelling is down, and I can lean on my foot now.....more soaking please).
Please post pics and "war stories"....... I wanted to be there.
Jim, Merna, and "growler" too (he's sorta wimpering now though)

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Started this morning with breakfast at the Ramada. Everything from scrambled eggs and flap jacks to sausage biscuits and gravy. Omar made it, but unfortunately Karyn was not feeling well this morning and stayed at home. Good to see Omar, always better to see Karyn

During the meal time Chris and TDI Bora arrived.

Big John, who is 6'4" BIG arrived today. Rain fell throughout the day, but that didn't dampen a great time.

The ladies went shopping at the Burlington Manufacturer's Outlet Center (BMOC) The guys were left at the hotel with all the cars
Valois asked, "OK who wants to be first?" VeeDubTDI volunteered his yellow NB to be first. He took a drive and returned with a huge smile across his face. Several others decided to take advandage of Valois' offer and after a little work, they too, were wearing an UP turned smile

We forgot about lunch until about 3:00 as we really were having much more fun than should be allowed to any group of human beings.

Turbo Steve donated a specimin bottle of Bio Diesel additive to make that sweet smell even more desirable. We lined up the cars for a photo op. Garrett used his 35 mm film camera to campture the moment.

We lined up four (4) Silver Jetta TDI's in a row. Why do they say this is a rare car. It was the most popular color in the lot!!! Turbo Steve, Garret, Driv'n EZ, and Chris, who had a two month old car, all stood next to our cars for a digital photo. Post will come later.

Meanwhile, we watched folks tune UP with Valois and then we demonstrated the Piper Cross air filters. The cone filter will be available shortly with a hose fitting. OS had one installed already, which makes a lot of room for an oil bypass filter. Turbo Steve traded in his K&W for a flat filter and EZ decided to give the flat filter a demo with PeterV in the passenger seat. Wow, this Piper cross SUCKS serious air. I could feel the difference from the stock paper filter for sure and the sound of rushing air (really, we could hear it) is music to my ears.

Several guys brought Vag Com software with laptops and we checked engine timing, cleared a few codes. TOMO and TDI Bora's car wouldn't connect, for some reason. So they couldn't read the software

Pizza just arrived, we have a room at the Sage Brush Restaurant this evening. Jim, we STILL miss ya.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm SPECIAL! Woohoo! I'm a first on the forum!

So, has anybody ever had their clutch slip in 5th, 4th, and 3rd
?!? LOL! It's time for an upgrade!

Actually, I'm thinking that it may be caused by the weather. It's been raining all day with periods of mist. Some other people have had slipping problems, but nothing like mine. Oh well, I'll just have to upgrade it to a VR6 clutch if it doesn't stop slipping.

Thanks Valois and Garrettp for all your help!
UPsolute is certainly worth every bit of $300.00!

------------------
2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9 TDI 5-speed
1987 Diamond Blue Mercedes-Benz 190D 2.5 Turbo (sold, but considering re-purchase)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Phwew! I'm saved. It turns out that the red Jetta belongs to Peter.

Here is a list of the people who attended. A name in bold indicates that that member brought his/her car.
<font color="red">

1. <LI>Driv'n EZ Silver A4 Jetta
    <LI>and wife Mz. Sue
    <LI>and son Evan
    <LI>VeeDubTDI Yellow A4 (obviously) New Beetle
    <LI>and guest Mandy
    <LI>BIGJOHNO Black A4 Über-Golf
    <LI>valois Red A3 Jetta
    <LI>and wife Kim
    <LI>osidak Green A4 Jetta
    <LI>PeterV Red A4 Jetta
    <LI>BoraTdi Black A4 Jetta
    <LI>garrettp Silver A4 Jedi, garrettp, garrettp, and garrettp
    <LI>Turbo Steve Silver A4 Jetta
    <LI>HollowPoint45 Green A4 Jetta
    <LI>and wife Xena
    <LI>CMedico Silver A4 Jetta
    <LI>tomo366 Red B4 Passat

It was great meeting everyone!

</font><font color="#dedfdf">

------------------
UPsoluted 2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9 TDI 5-speed
1987 Diamond Blue Mercedes-Benz 190D 2.5 Turbo (sold, but considering re-purchase)

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
While at the Carolina GTG we renewed acquaintance with old friends and made some new friends. This meeting is a great excuse to be with super enjoyable people. It's also a time to share stories and discuss our common interests.

We're fortunate to have great cars, that are well suited to upgrades. One of the upgrades that guys have been doing is air filter improvements. Until this time, most of the guys have gone with K&W. Now we have another choice. Rene brought some Piper Cross filters for the OEM box and cone filters that mount on the tube leading to the MAF sensor.

Here are a few pics that I took of the filters:

An advantage of the filter that fits in the OEM box is that it seems to me it will be much less likely to draw questions from dealers about modifications. The whoosh of incoming air is quieted by the enclosed box. I like the sound, but my passenger might want it more quiet than I do.

Here's some shots of the Cone Filters:

The cone filter mounts on an A3 front passenger side. The advantage of the cone on the A3, beside the obvious improvement in air intake, is that it leaves room for a oil bypass filter.

On the A4 we left the air intake snorkel (de-screened, of course) intact which flows air to the cone filter.

The whoosh of the incoming air and the sound of the winding turbo is music to the ear.

BTW, My OEM filter, which was supposed to make it for 20,000 miles, was ready to be replaced. Visual inspection showed lots of junk in there. I had turned it around at 10,000. This thing picks up serious dirt and cloggs up. The Piper X made a big difference in my car, which is running UpSolute Epsilonian.

[This message has been edited by Driv'n EZ (edited December 18, 2000).]

valois

Banned
Thanks for posting the pictures EZ! I wanted to note that the top of the cone is chromed, the pictures show the protective plastic that ships with the filter, it peels off to expose the unscratched chrome. Here are some more pictures of the product line up.

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
.......And I can attest to the fact that even the panel filter makes a noticeable difference. Audibly more satisying, and the turbo is quicker to spool up now. Doesn't seem to be gasping for air like it has been lately.

------------------
Will
99.5 Black Jetta GLS
SR, Beetle wheels, Momo Shadow Carbon
"Upsolute power corrupts Upsolutely!"

[This message has been edited by BoraTdi (edited December 17, 2000).]

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member

VeeDubTDI and Tom O check out the powerful yellow NB. This thing gets clutch slip in 5th, 4th and 3rd.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Rain fell, but it didn't dampen our spirits. Had a great time. Peter V drove from New Hampshire. Hey, rain is better than snow!!! Thanks for coming Peter. We enjoyed your company.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member

Turbo Steve brought down Soy Shield samples for all to try. Looks like everybody took a sample of something else for a drug test!!!
Don't eat yellow snow, guys. Here's a shot of Randy from Atlanta, TDI Bora from Raleigh, and Omar from Charlotte. How's that stuff smell?

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member

Randy is a funny guy. He doesn't always look this funny. Zena is a lovely lady. She always looks lovely.
Good to meet you. Say Hi to Chao for us. You've gotta meet up with Gary in Atlanta.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
One of the treats we all received was being with Garret, who drove in from Wisconsin. Hey, Garret, say hi to Garrison Keeler for us. Just wait until July. My nephew is getting married in Chicago. I'm gonna returnn the favor

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Turbo Steve and Rene chat about the Piper Cross air filters. Ol' Silver went home with a new breather. Seems Steve decided the improvement was worth having.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member

That's FOUR silver Jetta's in a row. L2R is Driv'n EZ, Garret, Turbo Steve, and Chris.

I walked out of the motel and had to use my remote just to figure out what car to go to.

Garret had no trouble, as his is the one with the silver air vanes on the front end. Steve looked for the smoked deflector on the hood. We all got em straight in the end.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member

Garret can take great photos. Hey, what's wrong with this one???

The oval 19 D 55 is a Deutch plate from a beetle. It came with the mounting bracket to attach it to the bumper bracket. I keep it in the back window of Magic Dragon. The "D" in addition to it's intended nation of origin, is my initial. The 1955 just happens to be the year grace formed my life.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Some folks might think this thing is all about cars. Actually, the car is an excuse. It's all about people. The TDI community that gathers at Fred's Forums and meets up at an occasional GTG is a great group.

Each of you who came did me a huge favor. I didn't pick the dates of this gathering. The gathering picked me. I really needed the friendship and time together this weekend. It was two years to the date (December 15th) that my Dad and Mom came to visit for the Christmas holidays. My dad had a massive heart attack and died in my arms. Last year I didn't feel very festive. This year we put up our tree and enjoyed the company of some wonderful people. There is no way I can put into words just how fortunate I feel to have been with you all at this really significant time of year. You might not have known how much you helped me, but I do. And I thank you for it.

It was great to renew friendships and meet new friends. Happy Holidays to each of you.

David & Susan

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member

Here are Chris and BigJohnO at the Sage Brush Restaurant. We had a private room all to ourselves with excellent service. The food was great. For those who are interested, John is available to interview potential dates.

Sue and I had a great time with you. Missy had read some of the posts from folks who came to the GTG. She just couldn't miss out on the fun.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member

This is an old one. Photo, not the driver.
Tom parked in a section of the lot all to himself. But then, his car is in a category all to itself, too. Great car, Tom. Matches the driver

VeeDubTDI

TDI
LOL

In the picture with all of the cars lined up, the question marks are

Driv'n EZ, garrettp, and CMedico (left to right)

------------------
Über-Beetle: UPsoluted 2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9 TDI 5-speed